Join now - be part of our community!

MDR-DS6500 (Digital Wireless Headphones) - Personal Review

Anonymous
Not applicable

MDR-DS6500 (Digital Wireless Headphones) - Personal Review

Hello all

I have just purchased these set of headphones and would like to share my experience with you all.  I will say though, that these are the best headphones that I have ever used/owned.

Background:

Up to a few days ago, I have been using a Panasonic wireless headphones that utilize the RF FM frequency to transmit audio wirelessly.  They generally work adequately, but have experienced so many problems lately that really annoy me.  Problems such as buzzing, static and general interference. I was having to constantly fiddle with the tuning button.  I had enough of it and so began some rather extensive research.  The criteria:

• Must be comfortable for long periods of use
  • Must not use the RF FM frequency
  • Must be suitable for Home Cinema use with the ability to connect to the PS3 (or AV Receiver)
  • Must have some type of auto tuning system
  • Must be able to use it in multiple rooms as I roam about my place

After much research, I chose the Sony MDR-DS6500 Digital Surround Wireless Headphones

Features:

• Transmits uncompressed digital audio wirelessly using the 2.4Ghz RF Frequency
  • Automatic Tuning
  • 100meter range
  • Both Digital and Analog connections
  • Lots of padding around the ears

Whats in the Box:

When they arrived via courier, I was surprise on how big the box actually was (compared to my other ones).  This is necessary for packaging and for the fact that the stand on which the headphones sits on, is quite tall.

MDR-DS6500 - Whats in the Box.jpg

As you can see from the picture above, you get the following:

• The actual headphones
  • The stand/processing unit
  • Optical cable
  • AC Adaptor.

Below is the main unit/headphones (front and rear view):

MDR-DS6500 - Front.JPGMDR-DS6500 - Rear.JPG

Connecting it up:

There are instructions provided, but if your like me, those instructions stay in the box un-used.  Connecting it up to my PS3 is a doddle to be honest.  I plugged the optical cable in from the PS3 to the MDR-DS6500 stand unit, and then the AC adaptor into it as well.  Ensure that the switch on the main stand unit is set to Digital and not analog.  Thats it.

On the PS3, I went to the Sound settings to output sound via Optical instead of HDMI.  I then tested it and it works brilliantly.

Whats it like:

As I said in my opening statement - these are the best headphones I've ever used.  The audio is clear and crisp with ooomph (if thats a word) even at max volume, there is very little distortion at all.

On playing a Bluray, the LED light on the main stand unit lights up depending on whether its in Dolby Digital or DTS.  You can also experiment with the Sound Effect switch on the unit (Cinema, Game, Voice/Stereo, Off).

I have experimented with the Cinema Surround Sound effect.  It works pretty good when watching a movie/playing a game - but need to turn it off when listening to music.

My only downfall is, that its a pitty that my AV Receiver (STR-DH820) does not have a Optical Out port.  Im thinking of getting a RCA to 3.5mm cable to use the headphones via the AV Receiver as well. 

Other than that, these headphones look attractive, sound great and function well - cant ask much more than that.

Thank you for reading.

0 REPLIES 0