Join now - be part of our community!

NW-A45 player has a song count limit of only 9,999?

profile.country.GB.title
JimInPT
Explorer

NW-A45 player has a song count limit of only 9,999?

It seems the song count of the NW-A45 Walkman stops at 4 digits - I've just loaded a little over 17,000 songs to mine (with a 128GB SD card added) and when selecting All Songs and hitting play, the count under the album-art display has changed from something like "387/8732" to "----/----".

There's plenty of room in the display to show 5-digit counts up to 99,999 if necessary - is Sony ever planning to update the firmware to handle modern capacities?  It would be nice to know exactly how many items are loaded into a playlist or are on the device.  Some people even have 256GB SD cards!

The "Music Center" software may be the worst music-database software I've ever seen in my life, so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised the firmware is archaic as well.

Geez, guys - these devices aren't cheap to buy ...............

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @JimInPT and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Nice Walkman - sound quality is superb!

Firstly.........17000 songs? :astonished::astonished: Thats one heck of a jog! :grin: j/k

I don't have enough to test mine out.

I haven't heard any details regarding updates, but if I find anything

out I will post back here.

profile.country.GB.title
JimInPT
Explorer

The A45 is a reluctant replacement for my Cowon J3, the best music player I've ever seen and heard, with one fatal flaw - a hard limit of about 16,000 tracks.  It's an amazing player and I'm very surprised that Cowon has never updated with a similar model; everything they've released since has been inferior in my opinion.

So I sought out a new player with higher capacity; I've been buying CDs since they were invented and pushing 1,400 of them totals a pretty large number of tracks, hence the A45.

With almost a decade between the J3 and the A45, the Sony seems like a step backwards, with terrible Music Center that fortunately I don't have to ever use again (I use Beyond Compare to sync), an unattractive display design, no Search function and now this 4-digit limit on track count.

Yes, I'm complaining, but I spent a fair amout of money on it and it seems as if the Sony designers have never seen competitive designs and the details of this device are very rough. 

I do like the hardware quite a bit, and the expansion ability, so with firmware improvements the A45 could be brought up to the 21st century; it just mystifies me that it's so relatively crude for a company that's been building Walkmans since the 1970s.

Ok, rant off; I'll hope to see firmware updates to improve it.  With the seeming lack of interest in releasing updates, though, I don't have my hopes up.

By the way, does anybody know if there's a hard song-count limit built into the A45?  It handles my 17,404 tracks so I'm hoping I'm not about to hit the same problem I had with the Cowon device.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

Same issue here. I have a library of 30,000 tracks, I like to keep history of my favorite albums and random ones.

I have hit the limit of 9,999 and I don't have issues playing back all the songs, but the number counter doest go above 9999 and it just shows ---- or ----/---- which means (playing track/out of # of tracks in library)

hope it gets fixed. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Mstyle1983, I would recommend to contact Sony directly as this is a user based community to pass this.