Join now - be part of our community!

NW-WM1AM2 Walkman Digital Music Player

profile.country.GB.title
taffy69
Explorer

NW-WM1AM2 Walkman Digital Music Player

This Digital Audio Player was supposed to be released on Good Friday in the UK and yet the Sony Centres and Amazon have never received any and continue to say out of stock on their websites. Sony will not be honest and say if they will be released in the UK or when. I think they are available in the Far East so they must be being produced somewhere! All they do on the Sony Chat is fob you off and tell you to keep checking Amazon. Surely somebody at the company can be honest with people and tell us when it’s going to be available in the UK?

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
perlmutter66
New

I agree. I also just got fobbed off with a nonsensical reply from Sony customer service.

Anyone know if a Japan-sourced version will work in the UK? Google Play etc?

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey guys, they tell you to check with the retailers because you're reaching to the after sales team, try going on the website and getting to the pre-sales team, they should have confirmed info if it will come back. 

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisNB
Explorer

It appears that this device has been something of a disaster for Sony thus far: the very few people who have managed to obtain one in the UK and Europe have found the volume limitation to be a problem, with some also taking issue with the general Android performance. 

A number of Japanese customers are even selling them on in short order! 

It's a pity, as the overall design and specifications were encouraging.

profile.country.GB.title
perlmutter66
New

Yes. I managed to score one on the Sony UK website 10 days ago. I was really excited. Returned it. Unusable. Expecting delivery of one from Japan in a couple of days. May not immediately cure the Android issues (hopefully firmware fixes will do that - and quickly). But the volume cap issue should be gone at least.

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisNB
Explorer

I hope that your Customs & VAT charges work out OK! 

In some ways, I wish that Sony had instead perfected their own Walkman software (as used on the previous version, and on the other non-Android devices). It seems odd to have the facility to download apps without all of the hardware required to use many of them (camera, fingerprint sensor etc.). 

It'll be interesting to see how the 1AM2 fares against the Xperia 1-IV: battery life and balanced headphone output are obviously the main differences. LDAC will surely sound exactly the same from any compatible device through a given pair of LDAC-enabled headphones.

profile.country.GB.title
taffy69
Explorer

Many thanks for your reply. I’m glad I’m not the only person Sony refuses to help!

profile.country.GB.title
taffy69
Explorer

Thanks for your reply but there really is no point reaching out to pre-sales staff telling you to keep looking at Amazon. You think Sony would want you to buy direct from them rather than Amazon taking their cut as well.

profile.country.GB.title
taffy69
Explorer

Many thanks for providing the real reasons that Sony have ‘pulled’ the DAP from the UK market

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisNB
Explorer

It’s rather sad that >40 years on, Sony can’t get the ‘Walkman’ right, especially since this DAP is not a completely new design, but the ‘M2’ iteration!