Join now - be part of our community!

nwz-w273 filling with water

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
rosmond
Visitor

nwz-w273 filling with water

So I just got the new waterproof walkman - nwz-w273. I've been loving using it jogging and working out, but when I get into the pool, it doesn't seem quite right. It's ok when there's a completely tight seal between the earbuds and my ears, but when even a tiny bit of water seeps past the earbud, the plastic part of the player fills up with water, presumably through the earhole, and no sound comes out of that side. To fix it I have to completely shake all the water out of the walkman and leave it to dry. So my question is, is this normal? Do I have to keep my ears tightly plugged at all times, or is it my walkman's fault for having a leak? Should I send it back as faulty and get a new one?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
johnashp
Explorer

I do gentle breaststroke and my version of backstroke for an hour a day, and have only had the "water in the earpiece" a couple of times. I got this when the right earpiece started getting lose in my ear (the supplied largest earbud is not quite big enough) and, on pressing back into my ear, forced water into the earpiece in the process.

To clear it, I remove the bud and tap it,quite firmly, on a doubled kitchen towel. It take a dozen or so taps to get all of the water out.

I have already nearly lost one of the earbuds so I contacted Sony EU Customer service about obtaining replacement earbuds, as promised in the instructions ("Optional replacement earbuds can be ordered from your nearest Sony dealer").

But in their reply they stated this

"We are sorry to learn that you are encountering issues with locating ear buds for your Sony NWZ-W273 MP3 player, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

"In response to your enquiry, we regret to inform you that there is no ear buds available for this model number, and we cannot recommend or suggest any of the ear buds you have referred to in your previous E-mail.

"Please note that the product that you have referred to is what Sony describes as an 'IWX' product. This term describes a product that is not economic to repair if it fails, and is therefore classified as an 'in warranty exchange' item during the one year guarantee period.

"In the event that an IWX product fails during the guarantee, it must be returned to the supplying retailer for examination/exchange."

How mad it that? Does anyone have any experience with replacing the earbuds? I noted that someone in this thread used Samsung buds.

Charlyw
New

I have had the same problem, now I have lost one of the ear plugs and no where can I find where I can buy another pair.  Can anyone please advise as I can't use it until I get new ear plugs. Thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hello and welcome.

Not official Sony replacements but the reviews of these replacement buds on Amazon seem positive.