Join now - be part of our community!

Sony MDR 1000X Bracket broken

profile.country.GB.title
Generalx3
Explorer

Sony MDR 1000X Bracket broken

Hello!

I recently purchased a pair of these great headphones and although I have been thoroughly impressed, I have to write about some disappointment I have experienced. I have had these headphones for about 3 months and a week about the bracket on the hinge of the headphones started to break.

Unphased, I still continued to wear them until today where they broke off completely.

Now I have seen many issues online where there is a design flaw in the headphones where too much pressure can cause the bracket to break so I am extremely unimpressed. 

20170627_122217.jpg

My question is what can we do about this. Prior to purchasing them I read that they are virtually indestructible and honestly an issue like this isn't something I'd expect from a £300+ pair of headphones. It's just so sad because the sound quality of them are second to none.

Thank you.

59 REPLIES 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have esclated this thread to Sony Support for them to assist you in getting this rectified.  They should be in contact with you in a couple of working days.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Generalx3

Sony should have been in contact with you by now, did everything go OK?  Just seeing the progress of this.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All

This is for everyone:

Sony has investigatred this matter and although these products do meet all quality standards, they will offer a free repair for the few customers who have experienced this head-band damage.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
adwebbe
Explorer

Provided they have proof of purchase.

If you received your headphones as a gift, Sony won't help.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @adwebbe and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Did that happen to you?

Were the headphones purchased with cash or a bank / credit card?

Just wondering if there was any way to trace the purchase electronically.

profile.country.GB.title
St3alth
Explorer

I have the exact same problem. It happened months ago and stupidly I just tried to repair them as I went. Then both sides went and now one chunk of plastic came off causing parts of the headband to apply undue pressure to my head. I am pretty disappointed as I always regard Sonys products to be stylish as well as durable and for the price I paid, I expected them to last. These are less than a year old. I do love these headphones if it wasn't for this manufacturing fault. 20171108_080631_Film2.jpg

20171108_080642_Film2.jpg

20171108_080650_Film2.jpg

20171108_080642_Film2.jpg

London-MDR1000
Explorer

Hi, my right ear cracked at exacly the same place, mate !!!! Did you fix it ?

profile.country.GB.title
Generalx3
Explorer

Hi mate, customer support contacted me and managed to replace my defective pair

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
profile.country.GB.title
adwebbe
Explorer

Yes, you should be fine as long as you have proof of purchase.  If you don't, Sony aren't interested.

I received mine as a gift so I have no proof of purchase and I have no means of getting one.

It seems odd to me that on the one hand Sony admit a defective batch of headphones was sold and then fail to issue a general recall.  

Glue didn't work for me so I've used a velcro strap that I wrap around the broken hinge to act as a splint.  It works, just looks a little odd.