Join now - be part of our community!

Sony MDR 1000X Bracket broken

profile.country.GB.title
Generalx3
Explorer

Sony MDR 1000X Bracket broken

Hello!

I recently purchased a pair of these great headphones and although I have been thoroughly impressed, I have to write about some disappointment I have experienced. I have had these headphones for about 3 months and a week about the bracket on the hinge of the headphones started to break.

Unphased, I still continued to wear them until today where they broke off completely.

Now I have seen many issues online where there is a design flaw in the headphones where too much pressure can cause the bracket to break so I am extremely unimpressed. 

20170627_122217.jpg

My question is what can we do about this. Prior to purchasing them I read that they are virtually indestructible and honestly an issue like this isn't something I'd expect from a £300+ pair of headphones. It's just so sad because the sound quality of them are second to none.

Thank you.

59 REPLIES 59
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Stripesfordays and welcome to the UK Community :slight_smile:

I'm not sure there's much else you can do,

but if the item was sold to you with a 'valid' warranty then it may be worth contacting

the seller / ebay to say the warranty was actually void so the listing was incorrect

and try and get a refund?

Also how long after purchase did they break?

sabre4
New

I just had this exact same issue occur. Is there a chance I could also get in contact with Support?

TeacherMarv
Explorer

Yup same thing happened to me.

EAA999DD-D93C-4D15-8111-1BC332F0E1A6.jpeg

77CC6E41-F479-4F50-A0EC-6A54C433785F.jpeg

I’m here in Australia and since mine were purchased a year and a half ago, Sony can’t do anything for me other than a 20% discount on the same set. What a joke!!!!

And I’ve got a 15 hour flight next week. The worst timing.

profile.country.GB.title
superdooparob
New

I completed my own repair on my headphones just over a month ago and it seems to be holding well.

The outer band had not cracked yet so this might not work if the outer band is also broken.

You just need some epoxy resin and some metal mesh.

For the side that had broken i molded the mesh to get the correct shape then coated it in epoxy resin.  I left a strip in the middle uncoated so I could flex it a bit to get it on the headphones and into position.

I then glued this in place with some evo-stick 'serious glue' and coated the remaining strip of mesh with more epoxy.

After it dried I painted it black.

For the side of the headphone band that hadn't cracked I epoxied two small strips of the metal mesh onto the weak spots of the band.  This will hopefully re-inforce the plastic and prevent it cracking.

It's not the prettiest repair but it's relatively cheap and works!Mesh sleeve with epoxyMesh sleeve with epoxymesh strips with epoxymesh strips with epoxymesh sleeve fitted and paintedmesh sleeve fitted and paintedEpoxy resin and steel meshEpoxy resin and steel mesh 

profile.country.US.title
Zuhair0915
Explorer

I am facing the same problem. It’s happening with my left side. I bought this headphone from bestbuy , and it is out of warranty . Will Sony fix this problem , before the headphones break completely. It’s a $400 headphone , this should be a problem. This is a error in design , Sony should immediate fix it for everyone that has this trouble. Every person that owns the mdr-1000x, has this problem , either after a months or one year , you will go across this problem whatever you do.

profile.country.US.title
Zuhair0915
Explorer

I also have the same problem. I bought this pair from Best Buy and it is out of warranty.This headphones $400 , which is a premium headphones price. This is not something that we should be worrying about. Sony should take immediate action and fix this issue. I am hoping for a solution soon...

profile.country.US.title
Zuhair0915
Explorer

I also have the same problem. I bought this pair from Best Buy and it is out of warranty.This headphones $400 , which is a premium headphones price. This is not something that we should be worrying about. Sony should take immediate action and fix this issue. I am hoping for a solution soon...

Mines snapped randomly on the right hand side last night, 14 months old, about to phone Sony (I'm in the UK) but no doubt get charged, absolutely raging that I spent so much money on something with this kind of design flaw

Exactly the same happened to mine. 

The store where I bought them have sent them back to Sony but warned they may not replace due to damage being customer use. I took the off my head and the arm snapped. It’s pretty Standard use for headphones. Very poor for expensive equipment. 

profile.country.GB.title
jawebbe3658
Explorer

Did you have any luck? I'm in the same position and I'm wondering what the best course of action is