Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Walkman NW-A45 - transferring audio - problems all round

profile.country.GB.title
PlinyHarris
New

Sony Walkman NW-A45 - transferring audio - problems all round

Could anybody give me advice on this?

I have the Walkman itself, and a SanDisk 124GB MicroSD. Both brand new as of this week. I've managed to transfer files onto both of them at some point, but they're having none of it now.

Copy & pasting files on File Explorer: appears to transfer them, and they appear in File Explorer in their new destination on the Walkman. Turn off mass storage, wait for the database, and they're nowhere to be seen.

Copy & pasting files from iTunes: same.

Transferring files on Media Monkey: appears to transfer them, but again if you turn off mass storage, then wait for the database to do its thing, the files aren't there.

Transferring files from Music Center: did appear to work first time, but any further attempt causes the programme to crash.

I have also formatted the MicroSD card, which of course got rid of the little music I managed to put on at some point, and now the device is virtually empty again. It doesn't seem to function even after formatting.

I've spent several hours attempting to put some podcasts on my machine for a long car drive tomorrow morning, and feel like I'm wasting my time. It's extremely frustrating how my first experience with a Walkman, having spent so much on one, is taking up my evenings in failed attempts to get music to play, rendering it not fit for purpose and the generic Sony FAQs telling me no more than what I'm already trying.

Does anybody have advice?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @PlinyHarris,

are you certain the card is a genuine one? To me the behavior you are describing sound like the behavior you would experience with a fake card, which has less memory than it says on the packaging/label.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
PlinyHarris
New

Hi Nic

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I do feel these SanDisk cards may be the first/cheapest that come up when you perform an online search, only because there may be a downside to them.

Do you suggest I preemptively order a Sony MicroSD card and see how that goes, or is there a particular make that Sony Walkman recommend?

Tags (1)
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @PlinyHarris,

I myself use a SanDisk card in my player as well - without any issue.

@PlinyHarris  schrieb:

I do feel these SanDisk cards may be the first/cheapest that come up when you perform an online search

I think you misunderstood me - while you probably ordered a genuine card, you may have received either a faulty one or a counterfeit card. That would explain your issues.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
distyl

Hello PlinyHarris,

Did you format the microSD on the PC?

The online help manual for the Walkman says you need to format it by the player first. That, puts some files specific to the player in order to operate correctly.

If you haven't done that please try that first. Good luck.

Here is the Sony documentation about that:

SD01.jpg