Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM2 noise cancelling not working that well

profile.country.GB.title
Dano253
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM2 noise cancelling not working that well

Hello,

I recently brough the Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones upgrading from the Sennheiser HD 4.50 but I already have a lot of issues with the noise cancelling in the headphones.

Upgrading from £170 to nearly £300 I would have expected the noise cancelling in it to be a lot better but it seems a lot worse.

The constant hissing is probably the biggest issue, with no music and NC on there is a pretty noticable hissing that with ambiant sound turned on sounds like a waterfall. This hissing is really prominent with the headphones plugged into my computer or anything, with the wire that the headphones came with. This hissing in particular makes listening to a podcast hard because that hissing is present throughout said podcasts.

Also, noise cancelling allows in a lot more sounds then my other headphones like opening and shutting a draw is really pronounced, again compared to what it was like with the other cheaper headphones.

The sound quality for me is great and with a bluetooth connection, playing music that hissing sound is not audible what so ever (apart from at quiet moments). At their core they are great headphones but the issues noted above are really breaking my experience with it, these issue again aren't present with the cheaper Sennhieser ones.

This post ultimately isn't a review I'm just asking for help. I feel like I am going crazy looking around at these amazing reviews for the headphones non mentioning the hissing or the issues with the NC so I want to know, is this just me? Do I have a faulty pair of headphones or are these just issues with Sony's NC technology? If so I thinking I'm looking at the Sennhieser PXC 550's but I would love to give these more of a chance but so far I'm not really happy with the NC.

Thank you for your help!

Daniel

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

HI Daniel,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I've not heard of a similar issue with these Headphones and would therefore suggest you get in touch with the support team for further assistance.

Let me know how you get on?

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
jmsayr
Explorer

It sounds like you might have pasasive mode selected rather than NC? But you'd probably realise that.

If you look in the Sony Headpones app is the Ambient Sound slider active? If so, turn it off and see if issue persists.

92netYpMwjI2RH

Failing that...maybe they're knackered.

profile.country.GB.title
Dano253
Explorer

Thank you I will give it a go

profile.country.NO.title
1234user
Explorer

That's exactly my experience! I find them useless for podcasts due to the hissing/"waterfall noise".

What really bothers me is the headphones' inability to cancel VOICES. They reduce trafic noise, sure, but leave much of the nearby voices unaffected. Actually, they kind of emphasize nearby voices instead. And yes, I have tried ALL of the settings with NC and different settings for ambient sound...

I am not buying expensive headphones to reduce airplane noise, just to hear the closest crying baby even better! Big disappointment.