Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH1000-XM2 headband crack

profile.country.NO.title
krinaf
Explorer

Sony WH1000-XM2 headband crack

Hi,

I have a Sony WH-1000XM2, bought September 2017.

I've only used them on my office 8-16.

Now they've cracked on left side, and I see that the plastics starts to crack on the right side.

It doesn't look like it's covered by the warranty, but I see a lot of complaints regarding this issue. How are you going to fix my device? I didn't purchase a headset for NOK4000 for it to be cracked after approx 1 year!

They've always been stored in the case, and taken really good care of.

https://us.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B00004KOWe4SAH/swivel-break-on-wh1000xm2?language=en_US
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/reviews/sony-wh1000xm2-premium-wireless-noise-cancelling-headphones-gol...

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @krinaf and welcome to the UK Community :slight_smile:

If you search this forum you will see others have had problems with

headphone bands cracking too.

All you can really do is contact Sony Support about this to see what they say.

Which country are you in?

profile.country.NO.title
krinaf
Explorer

Hi,

I'm located in Norway.

Yes, obviously others are affected as well. I leave mine in the office all the time, and this still happens.

Doesn't look like Sony's warranty covers this

profile.country.NO.title
krinaf
Explorer

Still waiting for a reply. Now it's completely useless as it broke.

profile.country.GB.title
smithonthenet
Explorer

I've the same problem. It seems that this is a common problem (although you wouldn't see this from the forum).

It seems some of the threads on this on the US site have been lost. http://www.community.sony.com/t5/Webcast-Discussion/Sony-WH-1000xm2-Headband-crack-returns-on-the-ne...

Any joy getting a response?

profile.country.NO.title
krinaf
Explorer

Hi smithonthenet,

No response, from anyone.

The retailer, Sony, the repair company. Everyone says I'll have to fix it myself.

It actually snapped right off a month ago, so I spent more than 100 GBP (1200 NOK) fixing it myself.. three parts for 100 GBP. It's insane. I sold it immediatly after fixing it. Great sound quality and noise cancelling, but the way it's built is crap.... never buying Sony again with this kind of customer service and quality.

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hello smithonthenet,

As far as I know, you still can send your headset to the Sony service centre to get it repaired. Maybe they can also advise with an approximate expected cost  in this case: http://www.sonypencoed.co.uk/contact/

Vanilla_

profile.country.ZA.title
TheFuzz
New

Same thing as happened to my headphones. Contacted Sony repair centre and have been informed it will cost about £80 to repair. Disgusting really when you spend nearly £330 on a set of headphones and 15 months later the plastic degrades and cracks. Specifically at the exact part which is made to open and close. This is clearly a poor design choice and substandard materials, yet Sony completely disengage and fail to acknowledge the issue.

I have a pair of Sony WF 900n truly wireless earbuds as well and even though there is a stated battery life of 3 hours I barely get 2 if I'm lucky. Was going to upgrade to the new WF 1000XM3 but after this rubbish service I won't be buying another Sony product and will be telling everyone I know the same. Poor customer service leads to loss of future customers. The £10 actual cost for replacing the piece of plastic is losing Sony hundreds of £££s in lost future revenue.... great business choice. Will not buy Sony TV, sound system or anything. 

It's like buying an iPad and the screen falling off after 15 months and saying its because you used the screen .

sameergk
Explorer

Hi, I am in the exact same situation. The headband of my wh1000xm2 cracked on both sides within a  year and then broke on then right side. With no warranty I'm being quoted over 100£ for the repair by the Sony service centre. So disappointing!

profile.country.GB.title
EBS1973
New

Just happened to mine, spoke to Sony UK who said this is the first time they have heard about this, which I doubt judging by so many others having the same problem. And like you one side snapped and it was only then that I notices that the other side had cracked. Unfortunately I bought them 2 years ago and they are out of warranty. Looked after beautifully and hardly used them as well which they told me might have been the problem.  V strange. Pretty appalling considering how expensive they were! So I have to pay for the repair.