Join now - be part of our community!

To update Software to V4 on the Sony WH-1000XM3 or not??

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jdoherty76
Explorer

To update Software to V4 on the Sony WH-1000XM3 or not??

I have recently bought a pair on WH-1000XM3's and the software level on them is V2.  I see numerous issue with the upgrade to V4.  Is it recommended that I upgrade or not?  Maybe all the issues with V4 firmware has been resolved, maybe not.  Your opinions greatly accepted?

Also what's the best being new to this game Google Assistant or Alexa?

2 questions I'm sure they are not as simple as I think and probably mixed feelings over these.

Thanks again JD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi jdoherty76,

I'd personally have a look at the benefits of the update then decide accordingly. I've had a look in on the latest version of this headset and can see that it's mainly adding Alexa and Google Assistant features. You can have a look at this here:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/wireless-headphones-bluetooth-headphones/wh-1000xm3/downl...

I've also heard from a couple of users regarding the NC and battery issues after the update but I also know other users who didn't face any problems after updating. Hence, I don't really think that this is due to the update. Otherwise, all users should've faced the same exact problems.

Hope this helps,

Vanilla_

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Ashin.leoms
Explorer

Don't upgrade mate, I had the 1000x M2 with version 2.0 and the ANC was brilliant. I bought 1000xm3 which had 4.1.1 pre installed and ANC is terrible.

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi JD, 

I'm just going to try to find some answers for you. In the meantime, maybe someone else in the community might have some ideas. 

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.SE.title
joeldeluxe

Updates will improve the experience, not worsen it! I would update because you still have warranty if something happens, and many problems with ANC can be solved by running the optimizer after the software update. 

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Totally wrong I'm afraid.

If you look on these forums, the French and German Sony forums, Reddit and twitter, you'll see many people are experiencing issues with reduced ANC (which the optimization feature doesn't rectify)  the introduction of white noise, reduction in battery life power charge too.

profile.country.GB.title
jdoherty76
Explorer

Thanks to the couple of replies, I should say that warranty is not an issue for me and being an old guy I'm not too interested in all the bells and whistles.  Just loking for great sound, top notch noise cancellation and battery life.  These are my priorities.  I'd be reluctant to force the update if it's going to effect my criteria.  What truly peeves me off about manufactures today is why you can't revert to the old version if there is an issue.  I mean it's not rocket science and should be possible....I've spent 30+ years in the IT industry and everything hinged on being about to backout any changes that should prove detrimental to user experience...itappears the old adge you live and learn doesn't apply in these circumstances...

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi jdoherty76,

I'd personally have a look at the benefits of the update then decide accordingly. I've had a look in on the latest version of this headset and can see that it's mainly adding Alexa and Google Assistant features. You can have a look at this here:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/wireless-headphones-bluetooth-headphones/wh-1000xm3/downl...

I've also heard from a couple of users regarding the NC and battery issues after the update but I also know other users who didn't face any problems after updating. Hence, I don't really think that this is due to the update. Otherwise, all users should've faced the same exact problems.

Hope this helps,

Vanilla_

profile.country.US.title
Ninyu4

Exactly, Vanilla_, I still assume the firmware issue is due to the platform. So far I do not know of any iOS user having faced this issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

@Ninyu4 wrote:

Exactly, Vanilla_, I still assume the firmware issue is due to the platform. So far I do not know of any iOS user having faced this issue. 

It's not platform related. I received a new pair today *preloaded* with v4.1.1 and the issues are present (unlike on v2.0.0).

profile.country.US.title
Ninyu4

But how can you tell that it isn't platform related? 

Do you know which platform was used to update the firmware to begin with?

What platform did you use?