Join now - be part of our community!

True wireless WF-1000XM3 - bad call quality

profile.country.SE.title
lingerts
Explorer

True wireless WF-1000XM3 - bad call quality

I really like my new earbuds, specially regarding sound quality...

But when It comes to call quality its terrible. Ivé tried reset both phone (Huawei P30 Pro) and earbuds, I've tried both with and without NC. I've also tried prioritize connection vs audio in the app.

This is my second pair with the same issue, I even updated the firmware that came this morning. 

I tried the buds with my wifes iPhone, but the call quality was still bad.

I really really want these to work, any ideas?

36 REPLIES 36
profile.country.GB.title
epidemais
Explorer

I have the same issue - people often cannot hear me, I've not had a single phone call where people can actually hear me. 

I tried recording myself using Audio Recorder on my phone and I had the same result too

Here's the link to my audio recording https://youtu.be/nYtZbasvQ4g

profile.country.GB.title
ethunter
New

I second this issue. I just received my headphones and have had non-stop issues with calls in addition to quality issues listening from bluetooth on my Macbook and my phone. Confirmed I have all the latest Drivers and tested audio quality connections from solutions on the web.

I'm legitimately feeling like these need to be returned.

profile.country.SE.title
lingerts
Explorer

I really like these buds... but call quality is a dealbreaker for me. 

The problem is, it seems that all earbuds who don't have the design of the earpods has bad call quality, due to the distance between mic and mouth. Maybe except from the Jabra, but I don't like the sound of them. 

Argh... frustrated!

profile.country.SE.title
BigSwede72

Experiencing the same problems as you guys. I called Sony Support today and they kept asking me to repeat myself because they couldn't hear me when I was using their earbuds :slight_smile: 
They told me to return them so I did and received a new pair... can't say they were any better. Perhaps a little but still very bad. Everything else seems to be working great but the call quality (microphone) is utter crap, to that degree that it is useless. Going to return theses and take my money elsewhere it Sony does not solve this soon!
Using a Google Pixel 3 and I have updated the earbuds to 1.3.0. Tried factory reset and all other tricks.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hey guys,

what happens if during calls you switch off NC? Does that improve the situation?

- Nic

profile.country.SE.title
BigSwede72

No noticeable difference for me anyway.

Returned mine last friday and recieved a new pair from the same shop (probably the same batch).

Haven't had time to evaluate them but first impressions is that they might be a little better but not sure yet.

Might just be wishful thinking ...or hearing :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Sigep161
New

I have had mine for almost a week and find calls in a quiet office are ok. If I am in a public place, the person on the other end of the call hears “everything” louder than me. I was just on a business trip and it was impossible to use the ear buds in the airport due to horrible voice recognition. All the people I spoke with could hear was the background noise. Sony..... Please fix these are unuseable as earbuds marketed against Apple EarPods.   

profile.country.SE.title
BigSwede72

Ain't gonna happen! Sony told me that the microphone is optimized for the NC function and will never be good at voice calls. Which is a load of crap considering the price of the earbuds! I'm returning mine.

profile.country.SE.title
lingerts
Explorer

I got a similar answer... "As the headphones are mainly suitable for music use, it is therefore within the specifications that external factors, such as a loud room can affect the function of the headphones"

This is to bad... I really like the sound of these, but I need to have a normal conversation with my clients over the phone. 

The problem is that I haven't found any other buds that have the same audio quality and good mic. Maybe the Jabra, but they don't fit my ear.