Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000X right earbud problems

profile.country.GB.title
jaymbee
Explorer

WF-1000X right earbud problems

I have a pair of the new wireless in-ear WF-1000X. There is an intermittent problem with sound in the right earbud cutting out. It seems to be random; sometimes it happens for a second or so a few times in quick succession, sometimes only once in the entire day. This isn’t Bluetooth skipping as the connection between my phone and the left earbud is fine - it’s the relaying of the sound from the left earbud to the right that’s the problem.

It can happen in busy urban areas as well as out in open countryside so I don’t think the cause is extrernal interference. 

I have read several reviews, both in the press (What Hi-fi among others) and on the Amazon UK site, that describe the same issue.

I have tried all the things mentioned in the manual. I have reset the earphones to factory settings, I have switched from the AAC codec to SBC, but nothing has worked. 

Is the WF-1000X likely to get a software update in the future that might fix, or at least, reduce the number of audio drop-outs, or can anyone suggest anything I’ve not tried? There is one instance of a reviewer on Amazon who said his first pair had this problem but his replacement pair were perfect, so maybe it’s a defect in only some of them?

I’d be interested in hearing the experiences of any other owners.

56 REPLIES 56
profile.country.NO.title
toni.sucic
Explorer

The issues still persist. What's strange, though, is that I have virtually no issues when using them with my MacBook Pro, but when I use them with my iPhone X, the sound in the right ear-piece intermittently drops out or stutters.

This has led me to believe that the problem doesn't exist solely between the left and the right earpiece, but that the bluetooth transmitter also plays a significant role. The connection is rock solid when using them with my MacBook, even when using them in the office at work where there's a lot of interference. I don't think I've experienced a single drop-out when using them with my laptop, but I experience them quite frequently when using them with my iPhone. Actually, when using them with my phone they're borderline unusable.

Perhaps this is an issue that could be solved with a new firmware update that focuses on certain devices that are more susceptible to issues like this. The only reason why I haven't returned mine yet is because I hope that the issues I'm experiencing can and will be fixed in a future firmware update, as 1.0.7 apparently didn't solve the issue.

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

I find the 1.07 update has pretty much fixed the problems I was getting; the earpieces still disconnect occasionally, but nowhere near as often, and they reconnect almost instantly.

Using an HTC U11 mobile, which has excellent BT connectivity.

profile.country.GB.title
chmarsd69
Explorer

From my experience I only get drop out from the right earbud when noise cancelling is on. When off the connection is rock solid with no drop outs at all. I can get some 20m away from my phone before I have any issues with drop outs, but that is from both buds.

Frustratingly though NC is on by default and you have to turn it off everytime you power up the buds. Why it doesn't remember the user settings I don't know.

A friend also has these earphones and does not use NC and he also does not suffer from any drop out issues.

profile.country.GB.title
AsifKay
Explorer

I've also had the same issue with these headphones and it seems to be a serious design flaw across the product range. Unfortunately these headphone only work at home or when stationary. They cut out when there is any movement. Sadly, they arent fit for purpose. I hope sony will respond and release an update to resolve the issue. Until then, these buds are a bit of a waste of money. 

shiverman
New

On my second pair of these having got a replacement because they were rubbish. These are not much better. It's amazing they can be such a bad product. It's not even just the constant and inexplicable spates of dropouts, that seem to ramp up to an unbearable crecsendo, but that it will speed up and mess with with music to (presumably) try and correct itself. They are a chore to wear in the office, the noise cancelling is barely existant and the battery life is woeful. They'll be going back for a refund.

It's been a few years since I gave Sony a chance having got sick of their poor quality when my Xperia died. Looks like I should give them a wide berth still.

profile.country.GB.title
abubasim

I just want to mention my experience: terrible problems when connected to my iPhone 8 Plus with the latest iOS installed (11.4). Right earbud cutting out frequently. I can sometimes get music playing for maybe 3-4 minutes before the right earbud cuts out but usually this happens several times per minute. So quite random and pretty much unusable.

Now I did a small test: after pairing the headphones with my other phone, a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL, and I just finished playing an album of 39 minutes and 24 seconds (OMD - Organisation) from start to end without the sound cutting out even once!

So it seems the problem comes down to compatibility between headphones and phone.

profile.country.GB.title
abubasim

After pairing my earphones with another old phone, a Nokia Lumia 1020, and there also having a good experience, I made one test again with my iPhone, this time without Sony's headphones app installed. Now it's much more stable. The right earbud cut out twice when playing music for about 25 minutes. So it seems the app is the cause of most problems.

Maybe something to try for anyone out there having this problem: remove the app from your phone. Follow this sequence: switch off earphones, removing pairing from your phone, reset the earphones, uninstall the app, restart phone, pair earphones again.

This is the reverse of a problem I had some time ago with a pair of SBH52 with an Android phone. Those earphones were unusable until you installed Sony's app.

profile.country.GB.title
scs3jb
Explorer

Same issue with a Galaxy Note 8.  Works fine with all other bluetooth devices including a watch, bose, etc headphones.  The left bud never loses a connection.  

The right bud loses connectivity regularly, more often when I'm moving.  I have tried disabling noise cancelling, automatic profile switching, etc. and have tried both quality and low-quality settings (which makes absolutely no difference).  The right bud always loses connectivity, however, the button always works so this appears to be a fault in audio streaming/bandwidth between the devices not in connectivity to the left bud, at least that's the assumption when the audio drops out and the connectivity still works at a basic level.

During playing/first use there's audible syncing between left and right that seems similar. I would if its possible a firmware issue might fix it some day.

I will try different combinations and report back, but out of the box the entire range appears to be unstable and you will lose connectivity in the right bud out of the box on a Galaxy Note 8 and using the Sony app.

Has anyone got a working set of WF-1000X out of curiousity?  Seems this issue is widespread, and the only reviews not mentioning it were either dismissing it as a 'pre-release issue' or the review was written so fast they clearly didn't use it for any long period of time.

profile.country.GB.title
abubasim

And update to my previous post. The right earbud is cutting out frequently even with my iPhone without the app installed. So disregard this point in my previous post. Still working very well with my two Lumia phones.

EleventhChimp
Explorer

I just got theese earbuds and I have the exact same problem. I am fairly sure though that it’s not a problem with the connection, between the ear buds or otherwise, but a software issue (a bug that is). I only have the problem when either noise cancelling or ambient sound is on, in other words when the right side microphone is in use. Then, apart from frequent random ones, I also get a few very predictable cut outs each time I start listening to a new track. 

The firmware is on version 2.0 now and the problem still persists, which is astounding to me.