Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000X right earbud problems

profile.country.GB.title
jaymbee
Explorer

WF-1000X right earbud problems

I have a pair of the new wireless in-ear WF-1000X. There is an intermittent problem with sound in the right earbud cutting out. It seems to be random; sometimes it happens for a second or so a few times in quick succession, sometimes only once in the entire day. This isn’t Bluetooth skipping as the connection between my phone and the left earbud is fine - it’s the relaying of the sound from the left earbud to the right that’s the problem.

It can happen in busy urban areas as well as out in open countryside so I don’t think the cause is extrernal interference. 

I have read several reviews, both in the press (What Hi-fi among others) and on the Amazon UK site, that describe the same issue.

I have tried all the things mentioned in the manual. I have reset the earphones to factory settings, I have switched from the AAC codec to SBC, but nothing has worked. 

Is the WF-1000X likely to get a software update in the future that might fix, or at least, reduce the number of audio drop-outs, or can anyone suggest anything I’ve not tried? There is one instance of a reviewer on Amazon who said his first pair had this problem but his replacement pair were perfect, so maybe it’s a defect in only some of them?

I’d be interested in hearing the experiences of any other owners.

56 REPLIES 56
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again all :slight_smile:

Just wanted to let you know there may be a bit of a work-around.

Connection strength of the Bluetooth earbuds may fluctuate depending on the environment, and the specification and / or settings of connected devices such as smartphones.

WF-1000X connectivity can be improved by switching the Sound Quality Mode setting from “Priority on sound quality” to “Priority on stable connection” within the “Sony Headphones Connect” companion app, available for Android™ or iOS devices.

Manuals and support for the headphones can be found Here

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

I tried all the suggestions in the manual, including “Priority on stable connection”, repairing, and a factory reset, but it made no difference at all.

The BT connection between the source and left (master) earpiece is rock solid, no problem at all. The problem is frequent irregular dropouts of the right (slave) earpiece, which also causes brief drops in the left earpiece while reconnection is attempted.

I understand that extreme conditions may occasionally cause interference and lead to dropouts, but I live in a small town in Kent, not a bustling city, and this problem persisted while walking in a local park, away from traffic, houses, and other people. If these were wired earbuds, they would be returned as having faulty wiring. 

Wireless earphone connection technology is great in principle, but it has to work reliably in the real world. It's pointless if we can only get reliable use in wifi quiet spots.

I have sent two emails asking for support via the Sony Support online email page and had no response - not even an acknowledgement, but as soon as I posted a critical review, Sony Support posted a stock reply.

I also rang Sony Support and spoke to someone who took all the details and promised to get back to me, but said that if I returned the product and it was found not to be faulty, I would be charged. My response to this is that if they are not fit for purpose - faulty or not - I want some that are fit for purpose or my money back.

Fortunately, after being unusable for three days, they seem to be working properly again, but I'm reluctant to carry around a backup pair of earphones just in case they start playing up again.

L0n3star
New

i am really glad to see your post Davlorde because with this being a rarely bought product there isn't much feedback on this issue out there, I been searching for a while 😞

I totally agree, I have this problem every few minutes and to be honest it's made me want to return them, it's crazy how often it's happening no matter what sound mode I am in! I have tried everything, I get the feeling that it's a case of intefering signals cutting the connection between pods, since it happens worse than ever (silence on one ear) in busy areas like Central London.

Going back to the headphones, how is Sony going to release 200 GBP headphones when they can't even assure you a secure connection. Is there ANYONE who can actually use the 'Prioritise Sound' option without sitting at home? I bought mine from a electrical store so intend to buy them, rather use Airpods with an Android then stick with this, shows total lack of empathy for the customer from Sony!! so tragic..

profile.country.GB.title
jaymbee
Explorer

I returned both pairs of these that I bought. Sony directed me on their Facebook page to a newly created page that basically hand-waves the problems away saying it’s just interference that’s unavoidable. This doesn’t really answer the question of why this happened in busy urban areas but also in open countryside. Switching to SBC didn’t have any effect.

I guess the only way we can let Sony know is by returning these for a refund in the hope that Mk 2 is a better product. In my opinion, they should have been released as they are. They sound verr good but the connection problems are too great.

profile.country.GB.title
ReidarFredrik
Explorer

I bought these last Friday - because I would like to have Noice Cancelling...

Much to my surprise only the left bud is working when in call...

I have used the Apple Airpods since new year year - and they do not have problems like the one you mention and they sound crystal clear in both ears in calls...

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

@ReidarFredrik wrote:

I bought these last Friday - because I would like to have Noice Cancelling...

Much to my surprise only the left bud is working when in call...

I have used the Apple Airpods since new year year - and they do not have problems like the one you mention and they sound crystal clear in both ears in calls...

If you read the product details, you'll see that left-earpiece-only call audio is intentional, not a fault. 

You'll have to ask Sony why they decided to do this.

profile.country.GB.title
ReidarFredrik
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.

I did not do much research before I bought. I became convinced by the sound
and the relatively effective NC when I tried them with Spotify in a HiFi
shop. Being used to Airpods - I did not ask if it was "stereo" when
receiving calls.... .

I will try to find the right place to ask Sony if this is something they
will change.

Otherwise I used them during transport today (train and city-walking) and
they actually worked fine without the need to fix them to "connection"
priority mode.

MvH
Reidar 

[Edited by moderator to remove personal details]

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

I rang support last week and spoke to a helpful female support assistant who said she was taking a note of all the details of the problem and would pass them on to Sony technicians and email me back.

5 days later, she's just emailed me a link to the page about interference and setting the Sound Quality Mode from “Priority on sound quality” to “Priority on stable connection”. 

When I originally spoke to her, she suggested this, and I told her I'd already tried all the trouble-shooting suggestions, including that one, and factory reset, and they made no difference. 

It's hard not to take this level of 'support' as an insult to one's intelligence! Sony seem quite uninterested in taking this problem seriously or keeping their customers happy.

I have now told them I want to return the product as not fit for purpose under the relevant legislation. If they don't even work properly in a park on the outskirts of a small Kent town, well away from any EM interference, they're no good to me.

VayMasters
Explorer

I have this problem too. It only happens when the right earbud is jolted, like when I'm walking, or when encapsulate it in one of my hands. It also does this within a faraday cage (we have one at work), so with no other signal, it'll still do it. It's really annoying that it cuts out when I walk. I'm considering returning them and going with a different brand.

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

@VayMasters wrote:

I have this problem too. It only happens when the right earbud is jolted, like when I'm walking, or when encapsulate it in one of my hands. It also does this within a faraday cage (we have one at work), so with no other signal, it'll still do it. It's really annoying that it cuts out when I walk. I'm considering returning them and going with a different brand.

That's interesting; I was wondering what would happen in a Faraday cage - I didn't expect that the problem would persist - were you using a mobile phone as the Bluetooth source? maybe the phone boosted its wifi signals trying to get a connection, and that interfered...

I'm on my second pair of these earphones (the distributor changed them for me), but they still have drop-outs. I'm wondering if the B&O E8 wireless earbuds will be better (they're more expensive and don't have ANC).