Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000X right earbud problems

profile.country.GB.title
jaymbee
Explorer

WF-1000X right earbud problems

I have a pair of the new wireless in-ear WF-1000X. There is an intermittent problem with sound in the right earbud cutting out. It seems to be random; sometimes it happens for a second or so a few times in quick succession, sometimes only once in the entire day. This isn’t Bluetooth skipping as the connection between my phone and the left earbud is fine - it’s the relaying of the sound from the left earbud to the right that’s the problem.

It can happen in busy urban areas as well as out in open countryside so I don’t think the cause is extrernal interference. 

I have read several reviews, both in the press (What Hi-fi among others) and on the Amazon UK site, that describe the same issue.

I have tried all the things mentioned in the manual. I have reset the earphones to factory settings, I have switched from the AAC codec to SBC, but nothing has worked. 

Is the WF-1000X likely to get a software update in the future that might fix, or at least, reduce the number of audio drop-outs, or can anyone suggest anything I’ve not tried? There is one instance of a reviewer on Amazon who said his first pair had this problem but his replacement pair were perfect, so maybe it’s a defect in only some of them?

I’d be interested in hearing the experiences of any other owners.

56 REPLIES 56
profile.country.GB.title
Silenos
New

Anyone tried the latest firmware(1.0.7). Does it fix the connection issues?

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

@Silenos wrote:

Anyone tried the latest firmware(1.0.7). Does it fix the connection issues?

Not yet - just downloading it (your post prompted me to check!). I'll try it tomorrow on my morning walkabout and report back.

I bought a pair of the B&O E8's - always good to have a spare pair - and find them very good overall. They're not immune to drop-outs; they'll sometimes get very confused if I'm wearing them as I leave the house - I think that's because the phone is searching for wifi and trying to get a better cell connection. Very occasionally one earpiece will cut out momentarily if I turn my head to look behind me, but it only happens the first time each session. Sometimes the right earpiece won't auto-recover to full volume after it cuts out. The solution is to tap the right earpiece to stop the audio playing, wait a couple of seconds and tap it again to start again, and it resets the connections - works every time, but rarely needed.

The E8 sound is very good, though not quite as impressive as the WF-1000X. They don't have ANR, but isolate very well, and they have one-touch ambient passthrough, so you can tap the left earpiece to hear the environment. There are three presets for this, ambient-only, ambient with faint music, and 50-50. You can also adjust the tonal balance with a joystick-style eq in the app. The earpiece tap controls are easier to use than the little Sony buttons (I was surprised to find they work with fleece gloves on), and they also have earpiece volume control, which the Sonys lack. 

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

OK - I updated the firmware and tried the earbuds while sweeping my yard and then on my usual brisk 40 minute walk around the local park, and I had only one - fleeting, almost too quick to notice - drop-out, which is a big improvement over previous experience.

On the basis of one relatively short usage, I'd say they've made a significant improvement. The B&O E8s had more drop-outs the day before (though only a couple).

It's hard to be certain how much of an improvement it is, but I'll alternate between the two sets of earbuds for a week or two and see how they compare now.

profile.country.GB.title
Silenos
New

Thank you for the feedback. I am considering buying these, however the dropouts need to be resolved first.

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

@Silenos wrote:

Thank you for the feedback. I am considering buying these, however the dropouts need to be resolved first.

I think the likelihood of drop-outs will depend on the particular environment they're going to be used in. I would suggest trying them out in the knowledge that you can return them for refund if they don't work as expected. YMMV.

I had the same kind of problem. Frequently doesn’t connect to Bluetooth even if it is close by. Also doesn’t cancel noise completely even when it is on noise cancelling settings. And only works in one ear. I bought them from John Lewis and have spent the last 90 minutes figuring out how to make them work to no avail. So taking them back tomorrow and will exchange them for Bose. Very disappointing product 

nullint
New

This product is faulty by design it seems. Even in SBC mode the connection can be quite falky.  I tried a few wireless buds and this one is the worst by far.  Yevo 1, Jam Ultra Wireless, Earpods.  All of them work when you cover one of the buds with your hand, the sony WF1000x stops working if you just cover one of the buds with your hand.  It's not just your hand that will cut it off wearing a hat and a hood will cut it off of a jacket.   This product is flawed and really should be stopped being sold by sony as it's unusable. 

And yes I did try 2 of them as sony had replaced one under warranty and it behaves exactly the same way.  

ysoemarli
Explorer

yes, i had a same problem. i already ask to customer service also and they dont have any solution also. Please share anyone who had a solution. i really need that

ysoemarli
Explorer

dear, i already done that but no fix anything. still same problem.

ysoemarli
Explorer

yes same issue. the problem so random so really hard to explain to the customer service