Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000X right earbud problems

profile.country.GB.title
jaymbee
Explorer

WF-1000X right earbud problems

I have a pair of the new wireless in-ear WF-1000X. There is an intermittent problem with sound in the right earbud cutting out. It seems to be random; sometimes it happens for a second or so a few times in quick succession, sometimes only once in the entire day. This isn’t Bluetooth skipping as the connection between my phone and the left earbud is fine - it’s the relaying of the sound from the left earbud to the right that’s the problem.

It can happen in busy urban areas as well as out in open countryside so I don’t think the cause is extrernal interference. 

I have read several reviews, both in the press (What Hi-fi among others) and on the Amazon UK site, that describe the same issue.

I have tried all the things mentioned in the manual. I have reset the earphones to factory settings, I have switched from the AAC codec to SBC, but nothing has worked. 

Is the WF-1000X likely to get a software update in the future that might fix, or at least, reduce the number of audio drop-outs, or can anyone suggest anything I’ve not tried? There is one instance of a reviewer on Amazon who said his first pair had this problem but his replacement pair were perfect, so maybe it’s a defect in only some of them?

I’d be interested in hearing the experiences of any other owners.

56 REPLIES 56
profile.country.GB.title
abubasim

I have used the WF-1000X with:

- iPhone 8 Plus

- Asus Padfone S

- Nokia Lumia 1020

- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL

It works well with all except the iPhone. What all have in common is that they only support the SBC codec - not the AAC codec. Maybe the higher quality AAC codec is too demanding on the WF-1000X?

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

@abubasim wrote:

I have used the WF-1000X with:

- iPhone 8 Plus

- Asus Padfone S

- Nokia Lumia 1020

- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL

It works well with all except the iPhone. What all have in common is that they only support the SBC codec - not the AAC codec. Maybe the higher quality AAC codec is too demanding on the WF-1000X?

I don't think so - I use the WF-1000X with the HTC U12+ and it works fine with the AAC codec.

This is running Android 8, which now has a good selection of Bluetooth codecs.

jimowen7
Explorer

I'm having exactly the same problems. Seems lots of people are.

I considered them faulty, sent them to Sony, and they looked at the headphones and told me they were to 'specification'. In that manual they send it mentions not having your device in a bag or pocket. A bag maybe, but a pocket? Do they want me to wander around with the phone next to my head?

I just have a feeling it's a design fault.

I've asked Sony for a replacement of another product or vouchers, but I've got a feeling I'm going to have a big battle on my hands.

jimowen7
Explorer

Yeah that is normal.

profile.country.GB.title
abubasim

I bought an BNIB Nexus 6P which is now running Android 8 and with no problems with the right earbud dropping the connection. So all my problems are with the iPhone. Upgrading that to the latest iOS didn't help.

profile.country.GB.title
agent010
New

I have noticed that having wifi enabled and connected in my S8+ causes much more audio drop outs than having it disabled but still I haven't got through the day without right earpiece dropping out for few times. The environment doesn't seem to affect drop outs, it is the same whether I am sitting at home or in the underground. I do need wifi because the cell reception is not too good at my home but that means having my headphones unusable.

I haven't noticed massive difference in stability between SBC and AAC normally but it seems to help a little (Read: not much) when using wifi simultaneously with these headphones. As for Sony's support: I do not want to use SBC for these 249€ retail price headphones because it has lower sound quality and it cuts the battery life by one third. I would like to quote Linus Torvalds' wise words here but I'm going to pass on it for now.

It is totally unreasonable to even suggest using inferior codec just because of an apparent design flaw. I would be returning these if I had paid the full 249€ retail price but for 99€ these "prototype" stage flaws are just about tolerable. But still if Sony fixes the issues with future batches which I doubt, I would not hesitate sending these in for replacement.

Hi everyone ,

This seems to be a serious and consistent problem, has anyone actually solved it?

Spid3r99
Explorer

No solution to drop out yet...

This is my second pair. Love the sound but stability is too irritating. 

I just tried to connect them to my (stationary) Windows PC, after shorter listening I think is more stable than on my iphone x. I also tried to cover right piece with my hand and sound drop out directly, tried same on left on with no drop out on left one, interesting...

It seams that this is hardware related, maybe weaker antenna or so.

I would be good to some how confirm is this can be solved with new software or not, personally I doubt that.

If this is not solved very soon I will go for Sennheiser momentum true wireless!

hozzie
New

Unfortunately this problem is typical of the poor quality of recent Sony products.

I recently had similar quality problems with a Sony soundbar.

It is no use trying to sort it out with Sony as they will just claim it meets their specification.

I have an iPhone 8 which works fine with every other bluetooth product, just not with these earbuds.

If you have a choice avoid buying them.

profile.country.GB.title
abubasim

After reading a tip on the head-fi dot org forums I switched off Ambient Sound Control in the app. With this I am no longer getting dropouts in the right earbud with my iPhone 8.