Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000XM4 NOISE CANCELLING

profile.country.GB.title
Chris1603
Explorer

WF-1000XM4 NOISE CANCELLING

Hi,

Been using the new earbuds with ANC and have to report I'm disappointed with the ANC performance. I've done the insert dance and upgraded firmware to v1.15 but to no avail. On the tube this morning it was ridiculous - barely hitting any of the high noise at all. Compared to my Airpods Pro there is no comparison ... the Airpods are far better. I cannot work out what the issue is. Only the low level hum of everyday life is cancelled out. Tried other foam inserts too. The ANC works, but barely works. Also fiddled with the app settings without luck too. 

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
dnicuk

Chris, I have a pair.

I too am not impressed with these. I have a pair of WH XM4 wireless cans that really do shine when the ANC is on and working.

Have you tried the different sizes of the foam buds with the "determines optimal earbud tips" app. I have found that when I compared the med size tips to the large size tips ( the large size fitted better for me) the app choose the med size when it had completed the air test. 

I have since fitted Comply black tips which are softer and conform to my inner ear far better the the sony supplied ones.

David

profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

Hi,

If you tried to reset the unit and tested the unit with another smartphone, I would say you get in touch with Sony support as next step would be repairing unit.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

@Chris1603 

Maybe this article is helpfull.

profile.country.GB.title
Chris1603
Explorer

Hi,

The steps I went through to try to sort the problem:

- upgraded firmware to 1.15

- tried all eartips and secured a good earfit as per the app test

- uninstalled and reinstalled the app on iPhone

- switched off the earbuds and powered them on again.

After further tests, there is indistinguishable difference between ANC and OFF modes. The OFF mode provides good cushioning from outside sounds, but nowhere near the level provided by Active Noise Cancelling in my previous Airpods Pro / Bose earphones. And switching to ANC makes no discernible difference. There is clearly a difference between ANC and AMBIENT SOUND but that is because AS "attracts" sound into the ears.

What's particularly disappointing is that I have been told it'll be 4 weeks before I can get a replacement pair. I feel that as I paid out before launch - thereby demonstrating faith in the product - I should be sent a replacement pair as quickly as possible. Who do I contact at Sony support to help with this please?

regards,

Chris

profile.country.GB.title
dnicuk

Chris,

Contact them at the UK HQ centre.

I find that using email as opposed to telephone calls enables you to have a paper trail of what is going on and the things that Sony are going to do to fix the problem.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en 

SONY SUPPORT TEAM

Sony Europe B.V.

Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW, United Kingdom

Registered company number: 71682147

Keep us updated as I fear I have the same problem.

David

profile.country.GB.title
Chris1603
Explorer

Thank you - actually I have since moved forward with a refund on the XM4s and this afternoon purchased another brand of earbuds. NC superb in these new ones - a night-and-day difference in the quality of ANC. 

profile.country.GB.title
dnicuk

Chris, 

thank you for the update. 
 I’m going to be bold, what did you get. 

David 

profile.country.GB.title
Chris1603
Explorer

Bose Quietcomfort Earbuds - comfortable too!

It's a shame that I had to switch - fully wanted to give these Sonys a good try.

But the ones I have now are better in every way: packaging / case / comfort / ANC / Sound a tad less superior to the XM4s though but for me that is not so important.

profile.country.GB.title
KillingJoke1
Explorer

I use the comply tips and found you need to get a good seal by having the mic metal tip facing down in line with your ear and if you dont get a good seal take out and redo