Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000 XM2 - Noise Cancelling malfunction?

profile.country.ES.title
smithee77
Explorer

WH-1000 XM2 - Noise Cancelling malfunction?

Hi all,

recently bought a WH-1000 XM2 noise cancelling (NC) headphones. When I turn NC on, outside noise is cancelled, but I can hear some kind of white noise. It happens no matter if I'm listening to music or not. 

Does any of you have the same situation? Is this regular functioning of the item?

Thanks in advance.

J

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

It might be a faulty unit. I would suggest getting in contact with the point of sale.

Let us know how you get on. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
DZWiseman
Explorer

Just unpacked my new WH-1000X M2 and it’s the same for me. They seem fine and sound good apart from the background hiss when the ‘noise cancelling’ is activated. Since I want to listen at low volumes in an office, this might be an issue. 

profile.country.ES.title
smithee77
Explorer

Exactly. I have to travel and I ´ll keep the headphones with me for some weeks, but please if you change item please let us if it gets better! 

Regards

profile.country.SE.title
Jiver74
Explorer

Any news on this one?

Is it supposed to work like you described, with the white noise. Or should it be quiet when NC is on?

Regards,

Johan

profile.country.ES.title
smithee77
Explorer

Hi,

I think it should be completely quiet with NC is on. The white noise/hissing sound in the background can be disturbing.

On the other hand, why did you say it's supposed to work with the noise? Maybe there's some technical issue I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

profile.country.GB.title
swiftie

I contacted Which? - the UK's Consumer Association and their research team sent me a detailed response.

All noise cancelling involves capturing the ambient noise, and this is done by a microphone.

This microphone can cause the hiss. Also, just the air moving over the microphone can cause the hiss. Other factors create hiss. It is very difficult to remove.

I've bought noise cancelling headphones from many manufacturers over the years and I've never had a set that DIDN'T introduce hiss when the environment and the sound were quiet. 

If anyone has returned their WH-1000XM2 and got a replacement that doesn't hiss, then I would love to hear from you. 

I sent a suggestion to SONY: Why not have a "smart noise cancelling mode" which turns off/turns down the noise cancelling when the sound/environment is very quiet. 

I suspect that continually turning on/off the noise cancelling would introduce a far worse noise; I'd love to be proven wrong.