Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM2: hissing and voices

profile.country.NO.title
1234user
Explorer

WH-1000XM2: hissing and voices

I have 2 issues:

1. Suboptimal reduction of nearby voices. With "Noise Canceling" activated, I can still clearly hear my wife talking to me from a few feet away. And that really defeats the purpose... Seriously, aren't they supposed to cancel voices, and not only low frequency traffic noice (which they do)? "I hear babies crying" - and not in a good sense...

2. As others have noted: They hiss, like the sound of a distant waterfall or rain, on "Noise Canceling" and "Wind Noise Reduction". But not on "Ambient Sound", unless "Focus on Voice" is activated. (There's also an additional hiss of a slightly different kind from "Ambient Sound" 10 to 20.) This is really annoying when listening to podcasts or when I for some reason want to turn the volume low.

Is this a feature of the ANC technology in general, or a flaw in WH-1000XM2 in particular? A review I've read leads me to suspect the former, but the extremely positive customer experiences around point to the former, ie. my headphones are defective.

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Please take a look at the tips and information here that may help you with these issues. 

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.NO.title
1234user
Explorer

Right... So basically I need to move away from Wi-Fi routers, personal computers, microwave ovens, refrigerators, and other Bluetooth devices, remove the phone from the case, download the music in a compressed format, and make sure that Spotify is the only app running. I'll take the headphones for a test in the woods. The need for noise canceling would not be as pressing, though.

profile.country.GB.title
robi_rus
New

Hi,

I have the same issue.the headphones worked fine with the initial firmware version. After i have updated to 2.0.1 the problems with hissing started. And the NC does not perform as well as before.

Any help?

Can i undo the firmware update somehow to version 1.0?