Join now - be part of our community!

wh 1000xm2 takes background noise during call

profile.country.GB.title
roshan_87
Explorer

wh 1000xm2 takes background noise during call

Hi,

As far as enjoyed listening to music on my new pair of wh-1000xm2. The biggest drawback is during the calls(skype,normal) on wireless and wired setup.

It been biggest problem for me as i can't take calls during office hours , as many on the other end of the call complained me about the background noises it picks up during the call.

Please let me know the fix. Tried resetting to default config , neither of them worked.

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
Tracaja
Explorer

I have the same problem here, I mean we all have once looks like is inherent to the product, sadly. People cannot hear anything but noise. At first I thought was something related to the settings but after contacting Sony (case 03696320) they said the noise cancelling turns off when receiving/ placing calls! Wow this is very dissapointing for a fancy phone produced for one of the most respectable eletronic manufacturers in the World. Shame on you Sony.

The main purpose I bought this phone was for making calls as I have a long daily commute. Now when I receive a call I need to turn off my phone, remove it and use my cell phone with one hand which  is dangerous while driving.

It is worth to say Sony replaced my previous model which had the very kown issue related to the headbang cracking for this "new" model. I thought they sent me a phone with quality problems but no. Sorry Sony but even a 5$ wired phone is better for making calls.

I have to say Sony customer service (not the product) is very efficient, good job! 

profile.country.GB.title
mijujda
New

Hi everyone, 

I just bought a pair of these headphones a week ago, after reading a ton of excellent reviews. I have been using them on vacation for listening music and I have loved it. The NC is, in my opinion, great. However, now that I've come back to work, I've started using these headphones for calls in the office and... you guessed it - The call quality is just awful. Almost every call I make (either from iPhone or Windows PC) ends by me having to take off the headphones and continuing the call "the usual way" - just talking directly to the phone. This is a HUGE drawback from otherwise excellent wireless headphones. I've been making calls in not-so-noisy office environment and the other side could barely hear what I was saying. I can only imagine what would they hear if I was on the street.

I've been looking at Bose QC35 and Plantronics Voyager UC 8200, but have opted for better sound quality promised by Sony. But after finding out that I can't use these headphones for most of my work, I'm seriously considering sending them back and buying either QC35 or UC 8200.

I would love if Sony could come up with a firmware update addressing this issue, however, I'm not sure if this issue is something that could be fixed just by an update.

So yes Sony, there are many of us facing this issue, which is quite disappointing. I hope that one day we'll see a 1000X M3 with better noise canceling mics. Until then, those of us who want high-quality headset (not just headphones) will have to look somewhere else.

vega44
New

I can confirm the very same problem with two pairs of wh-1000xm2. spent some time on their support hot-line. nothing helps. tried resets etc etc. for phone calls, these headphones are USELESS.

xm2_user
Explorer

Hi,

Same here. Very frustrating... I have to disconnect the headphones everytime I get a call. I would've expect more from a premium headphone. 

Any plans to get a firmware upgrade to address this issue??

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
gimmon
Explorer

Unusable. There's no other word to describe the ability of these headphones for calls. As someone else said, even the most basic earbuds perform better.

I bought these for their audio quality, which is fantastic. I'd imagined they'd be at least usable as a hands free calling headset; they are not.

Deeply regretting buying them.

sagar613
Explorer

I am pretty sure that even the companies' staffs did not use it. They made the false claim that they had tested the headphone under the different noisy scenarios. And this problem has proved that sony did not test at all. How come the so called engineers,and designers couldn't find problem within the whole product design phases which I figured out in just two days. And shame on you Sony company

because your customers are in pain and you are still Quiet and Comfort 

profile.country.GB.title
XelK99
Explorer

Same problem, makes headphones just useless and very frustrating garbage ...who nowdays just buys headphones for listning? Just buy Bose. I'll avoid sony products from now on

Uplink03
Explorer

Is there any solution to this?

I gave up trying to make phonecalls with my XM2 because people say they can hear the birds, the planes, the cars, the wind, the other people in the office very clearly, as if they were here... but they can't hear me properly.

And when it's actually quiet and they can hear me they say I sound echoey, as if I were in a cave.

One possible cause is that the mics are positioned away from my face. That would explain why the world is clear but my voice is not. If that's the case, it can't really be fixed unless the hardware is updated with a proper mic configuration. Right? Or if somebody finds a solution to let me use my phone's mic instead.

The reason why I got these headphones is "voice focus". That works great blocking out the hum of the city (which stresses me out a lot, gives me sensory overload problems) while still letting me hear what's important - albeit at a reduced volume even when ambient sound is set to the max, 20, so I can't really carry out a conversation unless the other person is yelling.

I wish I had known. I cannot use these headphones in a noisy environment. What was Sony thinking?

My cheap LG headphones worked better. This is very shameful, a huge waste of my time and money, and an embarassment to use in a professional setting when my customer has to tell me that my headset is being disruptive to a conference call. I am good with the mute button, but there is no redemption here.

David McKinney

Nuance Healthcare

No longer a Sony customer.

profile.country.GB.title
Bjenner
New

During a Skype Call, even if I mute from Skype app it sounds like the surrounding sounds are amplified. At least add the mute microphone feature in the Sony app if you can’t add the filtering in the firmware. We all got conf calls were we don’t talk much and at least we could listen properly if we can’t talk with our headphones (they are not headsets for sure). 

Does anybody know if the Mk3 are like these or not ?