Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 New User, Noise Cancelling Observations

profile.country.GB.title
BernardTFS
New

WH-1000XM3 New User, Noise Cancelling Observations

I bought a pair of the WH-1000XM3's about 2 weeks ago, having tried out some other noise-cancelling wireless headphones in the £300 price bracket and deciding I liked the sound of the sony headphones the best.  The NC also seemed to work well in the trial/store setting too.

Impressions after 2 weeks of use have generally been good - I've continued to enjoy great sound quality listening to music & watching movies on my daily commute.  As my usage is purely on trains I've noticed afew odd things with regard to the noise cancelling:

1 - When there's a sudden loud noise (another train passing fast, or doors shutting), there's a similar bang sound that comes through the headphones.  Seems abit odd that the NC actually exacerbates the sound rather than just ignores it?  From another post, this looks like limitation of the technology, but I'd appreciate it if any other users can corroberate the sound.

2 - Whilst the NC is generally excellent at blocking out the surrounding noises of people and the train sounds, sometimes I get nearby people's voices coming through clear as day, and yesterday I had the sound of someone rustling a bag of crisps coming in!  Is it normal that certain odd frequencies might make it through the NC? 

For info, I've updated to the most recent firmware, and definitely have the NC settings correctly set in the app (not focussing on voice.)

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.IT.title
luigilauro
Explorer

Ciao.. can you check on which firmware you are?

If it's 4.1.1 it's unluckily pretty normal, the ANC performance was significantly degraded on this firmware, especially on human voices an such. It's a complete *****up by Sony, they became worse than first gen 1000x, which I also own.

Read the first thread on this same forum....