Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Noise cancelling performance ruined by v4.1.1 firmware upgrade :(

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

WH-1000XM3 Noise cancelling performance ruined by v4.1.1 firmware upgrade :(

Sony - what have you done? the WH-1000XM3s that I bought (running firmware v4.1.0) are no longer class leading noise cancelling headphones.

V4.1.1 and now v5.0.0 have destroyed the noise cancelling performance - this is so disappointing.

For anyone else with this problem, I have found a v4.1.0 apk download..... I have just installed and will check later when I am travelling on the train again (known reference for noise cancelling performance):

On Android:

1. Uninstall Sony  v4.1.1 (or later) app
  2. Download 4.1.0 apk file from -
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sony-video-sound-products-inc/sony-headphones-connect/sony-headphones-...
  3. Install apk file (you will likely be prompted and need to allow the android security option to install a third party apk)
  4. Disable automatic applications updates in Android playstore (to ensure the Sony app does not automatically update again to the latest version).

I really hope this fix works and that Sony fix V5.x.x very swiftly, or I will likely be heading back to where I bought them to exchange XM3s for QC35ii - it was a close call on which was best before 4.1.1 ,  but its not any more.

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.US.title
ricklen

Same problem, Sony states that the ANC was untouched during the update hinting to the users 'imagining' this issue. It would be nice if we could just roll back to a previous version of the software on the headphones.

profile.country.GB.title
jimdibb
Explorer

Does the Apk back rev the firmware on the headphones themselves, as well as the android app?

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

All, I've corrected the title of this thread as I have rightly been corrected that it is the android app and not the XM3 firmware that I refer to below. The bottom line though is that I think reverting the android app version back to V4.1.0 has solved the problem and I've updated, with a little more detail below, how I did it (I hope it helps):

For android:

1. Uninstall Sony headphones app v4.1.1 or later

2. Download v4.1.0 apk file from (fix the 'https:// w w w .' bit of the following url):
    h t t p s: / / w w w . apkmirror.com/apk/sony-video-sound-products-inc/sony-headphones-connect/sony-headphones-connect-4-1-0-release/sony-headphones-connect-4-1-0-android-apk-download/download/

3. Disable automatic applications updates in Android playstore, to stop the Sony app updating again to the latest version (otherwise you will soon be back to square one)

4. hard reset the XM3s - I only did this to be sure I was at the XM3 firmware level that I knew to previously work ok, but you could choose not to do this:  while charging  - press and hold both buttons for a couple of seconds, then unplug and power off / back on

5. Install apk file. You will likely be prompted and you need to allow the android security option to install a third party apk - doing this at your own risk of course, but this is the standard procedure for installing any externally sourced APK

6. Run the freshly installed Sony app and check in Settings / 'about this app' that you are now at v4.1.0 :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

profile.country.GB.title
Aleksunn

Is it a prank? How can this work? App version do not influence on hp work.

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

no really - I'm running V4.1.0 again and after a journey back home on the train, I'm pretty sure its back to how it was.  I haven't yet understood the interaction between the app version and the firmware version, but I get the feeling that the change is connected in some way to the functionality of the 'ambient sound' setting in the app. 

Anyway I think its worked for me and I've had no issues with the APK , so was just sharing what I've found.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

Jimdib - I'm not sure at this stage, but see my updated posting

profile.country.GB.title
mrlemur

Sorry, I've tried this and no difference.

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

@Aleksunn wrote:

Is it a prank? How can this work? App version do not influence on hp work.

No, but the App has direct control over how the XM3s operate (e.g. level of ambient noise allowed in etc etc ) - that's what its for! - We have no idea what changes Sony make with each App version 'update'