Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Pairing with multiple devices

WH-1000XM3 Pairing with multiple devices

Hi
I just got my WH-1000XM3 delivered to me, I can only pair with one device at a time. I need to be able to pair 2 devices at the same time. I need to f. ex. be able listen to music from my computer (win 10), and answer my iPhone (music for sure need to be stopped) when I recieve a call. Is it possible?
PS.: I am aware that music can be played only from one source.

Cheers
Hesam

Tags (1)
26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Hesam,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

For more information on Bluetooth pairing and Bluetooth connections, please see here.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Fjtom77
Explorer

Once Bluetooth devices are paired, there is no need to pair them again, except in the following cases:Pairing information has been deleted after repair, etc. When a 9th device is paired. The headset can be paired with up to 8 devices. If a new device is paired after 8 devices are already paired, the registration information of the paired device with the oldest connection date is overwritten with the information for the new device. When the pairing information for the headset has been deleted from the Bluetooth device. When the headset is initialized. All of the pairing information is deleted. In this case, delete the pairing information for the headset from the device and then pair them again. The headset can be paired with multiple devices, but can only play music from one paired device at a time.

profile.country.GB.title
Bigmick777

I've never tried this but apparently with the mk2 you can pair to multiple devices and configure each device to use a seperate feature.  As an example, 2 smartphones, one configured to be for music only, the other for phone calls only.  Instructions for this.... 

1. Pair the headset with both smartphones, respectively.
  2. Use one of the smartphones to establish a BLUETOOTH connection with the headset.
  3. On the smartphone connected to the headset, uncheck either [Phone audio] (HFP) or [Media audio] (A2DP).
    Example: To connect “Media audio” (A2DP) only

Touch [Settings] - [Bluetooth] - the setting icon next to [WH-1000XM2].

On the [Paired Bluetooth device] screen, uncheck [Phone audio].

4. Terminate the BLUETOOTH connection of the smartphone.
  5. Use the other smartphone to establish a BLUETOOTH connection to the headset.
  6. In the same way, uncheck the function that you did not uncheck in step 3.
  7. Use the first smartphone to establish a BLUETOOTH connection again.

Both smartphones are connected to the headset with only one function enabled.

profile.country.GB.title
vinnitsky
Explorer

I have the same issue with my Win10 and Galaxy Note 9. here is my issue - i paired headset with both devices - and when I connet to one of them the other device can't connect. I think it sould connected to both device in the same time. I read guide but there no answers. i also read note which say if i connected to Google Assistence I can't keep two connections, but i think i don't connected with GA because when i press the second button on my headset there voise told me : The Google Assistence does not contected.  

profile.country.GB.title
HairyBanjo
Explorer

Press and hold the power button to pair to second device.  I have the MK3s and I am connected to both my S9+ and Wndows surface pc as I am typing and I can control the headphones from both my phone and pc, so it does have multi connections.

profile.country.GB.title
jkrestinski
New

Here is what everyone seems confused about: "pairing" and "connecting" are two seperate and unique technical terms with it comes to bluetooth connectivity. "Pairing" is a temporary state in which security and functionality is suspended in order for two devices to authenticate to each other to allow future exexcution of various bluetooth protocols. "Connecting" is generally understood as communicating, agreeing on, and executing those protocols. The question here is: can the headphones "connect", simultaneously, to multiple devices at the same time. None of the answers here have addressed this distinction or understand this concept. It's incredibly frustrating to see the same answer over and over from multiple people, including Sony support, as if you repeat the answer it will finally sink in. Lord have mercy on us all. 

profile.country.GB.title
vinnitsky
Explorer

Complitlly agree with jkrestinski
As i mentioned in my previous post - i can "Pair" my headset with laptop and phone. But to be paired doesn't mean to be connected (interact) with both devices in the same time!!!

My problem is - i have to disconnect from laptop an then connect to my phone in order to answer on a call or skype call or whatever else.It's uncomfortable and I would prefer to stay connected to my laptop and phone in the same time (to be able to communicate to two devices simultaneously). So my question is - is it possible and if yes please guide me how do it.

swamipsg
New

https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wh1000xm3/v1/en/contents/TP0001703115.html. At the bottom of the page the below line is clearly listed.

My question is if my sony headphones can connect to both my phone and my laptop to answer calls and to listen to music respectively and looks like the answer is NO.

• The headset can be paired with multiple devices, but can only play music from one paired device at a time
Gottahaveit
Explorer

Wow.
Amazing how hard it is for most people to actually read a question instead of jumping to conclusions half way through reading. He doesnt want to listen to music on 2 devices. He wants to listen to music on his PC and answer calls on his phone. These are separate BT protocols and should work but apparently dont for these headphones and Sony doesnt give a crap