Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Terrible call quality (background noise)

profile.country.GB.title
mustafa.arif
Explorer

WH-1000XM3 Terrible call quality (background noise)

I have just bought these headphones and the audio quality on calls is terrible. People I speak with on the phone report that the microphone is dampening my voice, making it sound echo-ey, whilst at the same time picking up ambient noise. Indeed, most report that the ambient noise is clearer than my voice! I'm not tryign to make calls in a particularly noisy environment - just a regular office.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
85 REPLIES 85
jkeleher
Explorer

Did anyone successfully return the product?

profile.country.GB.title
AndyMall
Explorer

Yes, Amazon took them back without any issues. The new pair I bought (also from Amazon) are absolutely fine. Sony do not appear to have openly accepted that there is an issue with some pairs.

profile.country.GB.title
ITgenius26
Explorer

Hi

I might have a solution for you regarding Skype calls on a windows machine. I had the same issue with my headphones and what solved the issue was the following:

- Uninstall Skype (Very likely you're using by default the Skype from Microsoft Store)

- Download the Skype installation package (setup.exe) from the official website

- Reinstall Skype

- Delete your headphones from the paired devices list and repair them 

- Try to place a Skype Call. Your Problem should be solved now

Let me know how it goes! 

Sendipatel
Explorer

I just brought this headphones and have same problem, can't talk in public as it's picks ambient noise clearly than my voice. 

Sony - please do some upgrades in software as  know this headphone is compatible noise cancelling but just add this feature during the call. 

profile.country.GB.title
jenwall37
Explorer

Me too! I just cannot believe that my expensive longed for buds are no use for phonecalls while out walking  

profile.country.CZ.title
xilas97
Explorer

RoyBoy99 Explorer Explorer October 2019 I had this problem and there is a fix:
1. Disconnect the headphones from Bluetooth.
2. Switch off the headphones.
3. Enter iPhone settings/Bluetooth/ and “forget’ the headphones.
4. Press and hold NC and Ambience buttons until the blue light flashes 4 times to perform a hard reset.
5. Pair the headphones with the iPhone once more. This fix gives me a very satisfactory result at both ends of my conversations. Works very well on Skype and FaceTime as well. iPhone X iOS 13.1.2

Works for me!!! Thank you! Now it's possible to use it for calls, skype, teams etc. Thanks god :grin: