Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM4 quick review

profile.country.GB.title
dnicuk

WH-1000XM4 quick review

Arrived today. I have the XM3 model so a quick physical comparison they look similar. XM4 headband is a tad slimmer the ear cushions are larger and thicker which is great. On my XM3 I always had to tuck in my left earlobe into the cushion not anymore. I wear glasses all the time and the new XM4 ear cushions feel a lot better.

Noise cancelling is much improved it was very good on the XM3 it’s excellent on the XM4. I compared them both in a quick test playing the same track on both the headphones. 
Sound quality has  improved I’m no audiophile just a person who likes music I definitely can hear a marked improvement in clarity and spatial awareness of instruments and vocals over the XM3

Are they worth the £350.00 price tag most certainly the XM4 have upped the bar again. 

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Socanxdis
New

I got mine too. I’ve been using QC35 before this. There are somethings I like and some I don’t.

The Sony headphones app and general ease of connectivity is much better than Bose. No connection issues and great range. However I noticed that when you switch music from one device to the other, the music doesn’t start playing in the headphones straight away. It takes a good 3 to 4 seconds before you can hear the music. Not sure if it’s software issue or a problem with my unit.

In terms of comfort, QC35 was much better. My ears never touched the inside of the ear cups but they do on the XM4, so after 30 mins or so I have to take a breather. 

I was expecting noise cancelling to be vastly better than QC35. Its maybe slightly better but there is a very distinct white noise that can be heard when no music is playing. It wasn’t so prominent in the QC35. On the bright side, you don’t get the cabin pressure effect with XM4 like you do on the QC35.

Sound quality is definitely better than QC35 and the EQ customisation is useful.

Another thing I noticed is when I tap and hold for Siri, it works fine on iPad but on iPhone, it will engage and disengage before you can say anything. I really wish the custom button would work with Siri but it seems it’s only for Google and Alexa.

profile.country.GB.title
dnicuk

Did you perform the upgrade to the latest  version of software? It has a Bluetooth fix. I’ve not experienced any background  white noise when using the NC. 

Ear cushion fit depends a lot on the size and shape of your ears. For me it is far better than the XM3 and I wear glasses all the time. 
I’ve not had Bose 35 headphones so I can’t comment on the differences. 

Are you keeping or returning them?