Who Me Too'd this topic

marc.knuckle
Explorer

TV causing internet router to lock up all connections

hi. i recently lost all internet access through both wired and wireless.

after 2 virgin media engineer visits they diconnected my 3 wired connections from the router and we finally got internet access working.

so today i started trouble shooting which of the 3 connections were causing the issue.  please see below for info.

keep in mind a few things.

there were 3 connected devices. with various possibilities. i have listed the equipment and then a 'no' if i found it wasnt causing the issue

1)sky tv box? no. ethernet connecting it? no. ethernet port on router? no. the system stays fine with the sky connected, with its old ethernet cable and in the same port.

2) main pc? no. ethernets? no. homeplugs? no. house wiring? no. ethernet port on router? no. with the pc connected as before with the ancient house wiring bridging the connection it still works fine.

3) brand new sony bravia android based smart tv? YES! i tried a different ethernet and port and it still stopped the internet for all devices, wired and wireless.  when i disconnected the ethernet coming from the tv it started working again. i then went into the tv's setting and connected by wireless and so far so good. (i only connected with a wire originally in case the system was more stable such as when needing to do updates).

So....for some reason the tv is causing the problem but only when connecting through ethernet.

any thoughts definitely welcome as i may in future need to connect with a ethernet.

Who Me Too'd this topic