Join now - be part of our community!

32 Gb Storage?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tilthammer
Visitor

32 Gb Storage?

The promo and ad say 32 Gb of storage. Why does my 32 Gb Tablet tell me that I have 24 Gb of storage available?

Message was edited by: tilthammer

Message was edited by: tilthammer to correct a typo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hip_hop_rob
Explorer

That is standard for all all computers/Tablets/Smart Phones etc. They all quote the gross storage but  the operating sytems be it windows/Android etc and other media/photos take up space which is why any PC will have the same issue that, the net amount of storage available to the user is always less than the gross.  Hope that makes sense?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
hip_hop_rob
Explorer

That is standard for all all computers/Tablets/Smart Phones etc. They all quote the gross storage but  the operating sytems be it windows/Android etc and other media/photos take up space which is why any PC will have the same issue that, the net amount of storage available to the user is always less than the gross.  Hope that makes sense?

tilthammer
Visitor

I understand that but the promo material talked about 32 GB of available storage which is in my view misleading. Does it mean that thi who purchase the 16 GB version have only 8GB available to them? Seems not much to me.

tilthammer
Visitor

I still think the promo was misleading but for me it is no longer a problem as I have tried  reading data (video and audio files) directly from an SD card and, as others have said elsewhere, it works.

I will now try reading directly from a USB stick as soon as I get an adapter to fit the tablet's USB port.

hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Please let the forum know if you get a micro usb to female usb lead to work and which model it is.

Saw on utube a canadian reviewer demonstrate a xoom onthego (OTG) lead that had a flash drive attached and it worked!So please let us know and more importantly if it will support an external hard drive?

profile.country.GB.title
marc141
Explorer

Yes, I can confirm this is the case.

I bought the 16GB model and was surprised to see that I had only about 7.4GB storage availability.

tilthammer
Visitor

Just received the USB adapter

USB A 2.0 female to Micro USB B male Cable Adaptor by IDS from Amazon.co.uk

Good news and bad news

It works fine with FAT and FAT32 formatted USB sticks but not with  a NTFS formatted one.

All my external Hard Drives are NTFS and it doesn't communicate with them. Haven't tried any other format.

Bad News: Unfortunately the adapter has a right angle connector which (thank you Sony) covers the earphone socket!!!

Will now look for a straight adapter!

tilthammer
Visitor

My wife has just said "Is this any good" - handing me a straight through USB adapter which came with her Nokia phone!

It works without obscuring the earphone socket. Pffft could have saved a fiver!!

chrcoope7
Visitor

Same prob with a 32GB SD card fromated NTFS.

Now is andorid 4 going to be a update on the sony and will it have nfts mount in it????

I hope so..