Join now - be part of our community!

3g connectivity

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
austinman
Visitor

3g connectivity

I have the wifi enabled tablet not 3g model can I connect a 3g usb dongle to the tablet to gain a 3g connetion when there is no wifi available

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mpattenden
New

In a word No.

You cannot use a USB dongle. What you need is something like the the Three MiFi device that allows you to connect over wireless. I have one of these and it works very well - you can connect multiple devices at the same time although performance will decrease as more devices are added dependant on what you are doing obviously.

HTH

Padster

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GeoffNT
Visitor

Not really an answer to your question but do you have a 3g phone? On holiday recently we stayed at a place with no wifi and I just set my phone (HTC Desire) up as a wifi hotspot. That way I could connect both my Tablet S and my wife's laptop to it through the normal wifi on both. Given a half-decent phone signal it was pretty quick too. Just a thought and it saves buying a separate 3g dongle.

mpattenden
New

In a word No.

You cannot use a USB dongle. What you need is something like the the Three MiFi device that allows you to connect over wireless. I have one of these and it works very well - you can connect multiple devices at the same time although performance will decrease as more devices are added dependant on what you are doing obviously.

HTH

Padster

austinman
Visitor

I can use the phone as a hotspot but have only a 1 gig allowance plus the battery on the phone seems to bbe eaten up quickly. was hoping a dongle may be the answer will have to purchase extra mb's  from Orange when I get out in the camper