Join now - be part of our community!

Chromecast - plus how to stream video files from your tablet to an 'older' TV

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Chromecast - plus how to stream video files from your tablet to an 'older' TV

Hi all

I have a 10 year old Bravia TV (yes it still works perfectly :smileyyahoo:) and wanted to be able to watch Netflix and Youtube etc on it rather than having to save up for an all singing and dancing internet capable TV. I was delighted to find that I can just by using Chromecast and its dongle in an HDMI port on the TV. I just wanted to report this so that those of us without internet etc. capable TVs can have some fun too :slight_smile:

For those of you who don't know what it is:

marquee-product.png

"Chromecast is a thumb-sized media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI® port on your TV. Set it up with a simple mobile app, then send your favourite online shows, movies, music and more to your TV using your smartphone, tablet or laptopWith Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favourite online entertainment on your HDTV—movies, TV shows, music and more from BBC iPlayer, Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Movies, and Chrome. No more huddling around small screens and tiny speakers. Chromecast automatically updates to work with a growing number of apps. Displayed applications are optimised for Chromecast; streaming quality for other content may vary."

Have a look Here

I also wanted to be able to play video files from my Tablet Z too and found that its possible by using an app called LocalCast. There are other apps available to buy that should work but this one is free and works well for me so far. (Have just tested using an MP4 file.)

If you decide to go ahead and try it out then don't froget to open the Chromecast app first, then open the  LocalCast app and click the connect icon.

I also wondered if this would be a temporary solution for those reporting having trouble using Netflix on their brand new TVs. Its not a perfect solution but at least for £30 they could probably watch Netflix.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
atcde1

I'm using Chromecast + Z2 tablet to get Netflix on my Bravia TV - the video quality is excellent. I'm going to take the dongle on holiday with me so I can throw content onto hotel TVs. 

profile.country.GB.title
Ianmike
New

I have an 8 year old Bravia KDL-32S510 which has 2 HDMI slots , will it work on this Model?

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@Ianmike Hi and welcome to the Community :thumbsup:

Yes it should work fine.

There's quite a few Chromecast setup videos on Youtube if you want to double check things

first though. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
tatcan
Explorer

Hi

This should work but remember that it'll need a usb connection to power it.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/2998341?hl=en

TC

profile.country.GB.title
matwalaboy
Explorer

Brilliant post, thanks for it.

Do you know if I can mirror content playing on my macbook (on the chrome browsers) to the TV through chromecast?

Answering my own question for the benefit of others in the same boat - yes you can and the way to do it is https://snapguide.com/guides/use-mac-to-set-up-google-chromecast-dongle-on-tv/

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@matwalaboy Thanks for sharing the info :slight_smile: