Join now - be part of our community!

Encrypted Z3 compact tablet/phone, but no password needed to log on

SOLVED
probedb
Visitor

Encrypted Z3 compact tablet/phone, but no password needed to log on

I see someone already posted this last year for a Z2.

Swirling security icon on boot but never asks for a password.

Thoughts? I have the latest firmware and please don't tell me to reset it back to factory settings, I never had to do this when I had a Nexus 4, 5 or 7 when firmware updates happened.

Love my Z3 Compacts but has some weirdness with encryption.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@probedb

What do you see when you open PCC > support zone?

post a screenshot

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
probedb
Visitor

My tablet is encrypted and for the most part works fine, accepts my password on startup and is OK.

However every so often, like this morning, it won't accept the password so starts counting down to device reset. Sometimes powering down and powering back on works but today it hasn't.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

Currently I'm wondering whether it has issues when the battery is lower than maybe 30%? I'm leaving it charging to see if it will accept it once it's charged.

On 5.1.1.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@probedb

Are you using any antivirus app that might be acting up?

probedb
Visitor

No, this is Android itself, at this point no apps have launched, not even the main OS. This is full device encryption.

It would appear the problem is power. I left it charging and with 100% charge it accepted my password.

I wonder if this is a device or an Android problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@probedb

You could backup everything and then repair the tablet with PCC and check again 

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

probedb
Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion, I might give it a try, maybe I should just charge my tablet more often Slightly_smiling_Face So far it's been an ideal tablet, also have the Z3 Compact phone.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@probedb

Keep us updated.

probedb
Visitor

An update, this morning switched the tablet on (battery at over 75%) and it appeared to accept the password. But it had rebooted and asked for the password again, this time refusing to accept it. I then kept getting 'Unfortunately settings has crashed' messages and my password was not accepted.

Rebooted, same again, not accepting password.

Switched off, plugged in power adaptor, switched on and it accepted the password.

The odd thing is that it did the 'Optimising application X of Y' as if the OS had been upgraded yet nothing has been updated?

Rickard
Master

That sounds very strange.

The battery level should not be able to cause something like this and i can't replicate this issue here.

We are aware of the second issue though where it's optimizing the apps on reboot. Do you have an external SD card and if so, do you see the first issue if you remove it?

probedb
Visitor

Hi, yes, very strange 😕

It didn't do it before the 5.1.1 update that I remember. No external SD card in the device. I have no problems with my Z3 Compact phone.

I think tomorrow when I have time I'll try a full factory reset and see what happens.

As an aside, if you press the End key in the rich text editor it's inserting a hash instead of moving the cursor to the end of the line.