Join now - be part of our community!

'Throwing' To PS3 / Bravia

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Jarkez
Visitor

'Throwing' To PS3 / Bravia

Hi, just looking for abit of info on the 'throwing' feature.

I've spoken to a man at currys, and im pretty sure im going to get one on friday, but I was wondering if you can throw to any Bravia TV.

I've checked it out on the internet and I think it has to be wireless, is this correct? (TV MODEL NO: KDL-32W4000)

Assuming it must be wireless is is possible to connect an adapter to a non wireless TV? I thought not, but if it is please let me know!

Assuming these first two fail, would it then be possible to 'throw' my videos/music from the tablet, to the ps3 and then on to the TV?

If you can, can I use the tablet to control the ps3? (Bascially throwing to my TV via the ps3).

Also, an unrelated question, is it possible to connect to a wireless HardDrvie and access the data on there, videos, document etc?

Thanks, bye.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

the thing is brand new, no test results yet but here is a start:

PS3 ... :                                        no test yet

Bravia 2009 :                                 no test yet

Bravia  2010 TV's and Blu Rays:      I can confirm it works (with codec limits)

Bravia 2011 TV's and Blu Rays:       I can confirm playing works from tablet via DLNA server to BluRay/TV

[tablet and TV / Blu Ray both on the same local network, tablet wifi, TV/Blu Ray cable in my case]

[because the tablet has also infrared and can mimic remote control (of older and newer models) you can control all machines with the tablet, if you want. Also the throwing from tablet to PS3 to TV, or from tablet to Blu Ray to TV.  2011 Bravia models (and I think also the PS3?) on top of that have the smartphone remote control app, working over wifi, which also works on your tablet. For testing, i have to say I find the original remote controls handier, because I can see what happens with the DLNA server on the tablet screen while I operate the TV or Blu Ray menu with real buttons of original remote controls]

2011 test:

I downloaded a trial Free DLNA server trial App in the Android market

Note the DLNA player that is preinstalled on the Tablet is NOT a DLNA server... you need to install one.

I downloaded a 'Screen ON widget' also, because if tablet goes to sleep and disconnects wifi... server streaming may stop handy for testing. [Can also change the never close wifi when connected to charger or whatever setting in the wifi menu, as another cure to the same problem]

I succesfully played the Green Hornet MP4 trailer on the 2011 Blu Ray player (to a connected TV).

( the first time I tried the streaming stopped right when the tablet screen blanked out after 1 minute no touching, hence the Screen ON widget / Wifi disconnect setting fix remark )

2010 TV test:

Here it turns out it matters

1. what App you use

2. less types of coding of your videos supported... the tablet installed trailers do not stream.

DLNA server Apps of choice (free trials, either limited days or limited number of files):

'TWONKY mobile' on my Tablet: works with my KDL-32EX711 (but not MP4 video because of codec)

you have to set up what stuff on your tablet is going to be shared, plug-n-play interface

I succesfully played Music and Photo from tablet to PC, video of new codec failed.

'Remote Media DLNA server App':  is of a type not supported by the 2010 TV (says details after running serverdiagnosis). It may work with a PS3. It does not work wit KDL-32EX711 with latest firmware.

you have to set up what stuff on your tablet is going to be shared, nerdy interface (with 2011 play succes)

'Share Me DLNA server App':
is of a type not supported by the 2010 TV, not even seen in 2010 server diagnosis.

you have to set up what stuff on your tablet is going to be shared, minimal interface (with 2011 play succes)

2009 models and PS3:

I suspect the 2009 models for DLNA will behave as the 2010 models.

Navigating the DLNA interface is a bit over-hierarchical in the current menus: you see PHOTO MUSIC and VIDEO folders shared under PHOTO, MUSIC and VIDEO menus, but can only see and play PHOTO content when navigating these folders under PHOTO, MUSIC under MUSIC and VIDEO under VIDEO... and you have to ignore the many apparently empty folders that clutter menus. One learns to ignore it I guess.

Message was edited by: breedBenR

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi

Ideally the throwing feature needs a device that supports DLNA and the ability to accept pushed content and the video file type. It doesn't matter if you TV/Blu-Ray player is connected wireless or wired but it just needs to be on the same network.

Now the problem is, older Bravia models did not support video over DLNA so the throw feature may not work. The Tablet may not even pick up on the Bravia itself so may leave you limited in that sense but might still be able to throw pictures/music.

Now you TV doesn't have a wireless adaptor which you can use so your options will be a network cablet which might be long and messy or look at using "Power Lines" which will use your mains plugs (plus ethernet cable) to connect your TV to your router. Maybe have a look online as it might make more sense.

I am sure someone who has a Tablet and a PS3 could share some insight on that part. I am not sure it is possible to throw to a PS3 since I have never seen any options of media rendering unless I missed it. If you can, yeah throw to your PS3 once connected to the TV.

There is a DLNA app on the Tablet which can pick up content from any server so a wireless HDD should be fine providing it is a supported media format and connected to the same network.
I hope that answers as much as I could.
profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

the thing is brand new, no test results yet but here is a start:

PS3 ... :                                        no test yet

Bravia 2009 :                                 no test yet

Bravia  2010 TV's and Blu Rays:      I can confirm it works (with codec limits)

Bravia 2011 TV's and Blu Rays:       I can confirm playing works from tablet via DLNA server to BluRay/TV

[tablet and TV / Blu Ray both on the same local network, tablet wifi, TV/Blu Ray cable in my case]

[because the tablet has also infrared and can mimic remote control (of older and newer models) you can control all machines with the tablet, if you want. Also the throwing from tablet to PS3 to TV, or from tablet to Blu Ray to TV.  2011 Bravia models (and I think also the PS3?) on top of that have the smartphone remote control app, working over wifi, which also works on your tablet. For testing, i have to say I find the original remote controls handier, because I can see what happens with the DLNA server on the tablet screen while I operate the TV or Blu Ray menu with real buttons of original remote controls]

2011 test:

I downloaded a trial Free DLNA server trial App in the Android market

Note the DLNA player that is preinstalled on the Tablet is NOT a DLNA server... you need to install one.

I downloaded a 'Screen ON widget' also, because if tablet goes to sleep and disconnects wifi... server streaming may stop handy for testing. [Can also change the never close wifi when connected to charger or whatever setting in the wifi menu, as another cure to the same problem]

I succesfully played the Green Hornet MP4 trailer on the 2011 Blu Ray player (to a connected TV).

( the first time I tried the streaming stopped right when the tablet screen blanked out after 1 minute no touching, hence the Screen ON widget / Wifi disconnect setting fix remark )

2010 TV test:

Here it turns out it matters

1. what App you use

2. less types of coding of your videos supported... the tablet installed trailers do not stream.

DLNA server Apps of choice (free trials, either limited days or limited number of files):

'TWONKY mobile' on my Tablet: works with my KDL-32EX711 (but not MP4 video because of codec)

you have to set up what stuff on your tablet is going to be shared, plug-n-play interface

I succesfully played Music and Photo from tablet to PC, video of new codec failed.

'Remote Media DLNA server App':  is of a type not supported by the 2010 TV (says details after running serverdiagnosis). It may work with a PS3. It does not work wit KDL-32EX711 with latest firmware.

you have to set up what stuff on your tablet is going to be shared, nerdy interface (with 2011 play succes)

'Share Me DLNA server App':
is of a type not supported by the 2010 TV, not even seen in 2010 server diagnosis.

you have to set up what stuff on your tablet is going to be shared, minimal interface (with 2011 play succes)

2009 models and PS3:

I suspect the 2009 models for DLNA will behave as the 2010 models.

Navigating the DLNA interface is a bit over-hierarchical in the current menus: you see PHOTO MUSIC and VIDEO folders shared under PHOTO, MUSIC and VIDEO menus, but can only see and play PHOTO content when navigating these folders under PHOTO, MUSIC under MUSIC and VIDEO under VIDEO... and you have to ignore the many apparently empty folders that clutter menus. One learns to ignore it I guess.

Jarkez
Visitor

Thanks for both of your replies, been a great help, im just deciding now whether to get a wireless hard drive, wired hard drive or use a cloud to store data and play it back using either my bravia or ps3 🙂

all have thier advantages/disadvantages, id imagine with the cloud the only thing would be the speed of it, even though it would be more convienient if it worked as i wanted it too.

Even if i have trouble connecting to my tv or ps3 im still going to pick it up tomorrow, started uni last week and can see it coming in really handy.

thanks again!

jake.