Visitor

Unable to connect Tablet to the home network

The network recognises my Sony TV and Notebook but does not see the Tablet

I am on Vista and WM11

Help please

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

In what way are you trying to connect to the PC/Network?

From the tablet, accessing your PC :

Getting the Wifi connection going? If your tablet is on 3G it won't communicate with your home network.

Via DLNA? for media such as photos, video and music?

If you are connected with wifi to your home network, the DLNA app should see your DLNA servers.

You can also try to install apps from the market such as Upnplay or other DLNA client/remote's etc. If you have them running, other devices on the network may also start recognising the tablet as a DLNA rendering device.

Via network 'Samba' file sharing? for browsing, copying etc. shared directories on a PC?

If you are connected with wifi to your home network, the app File Manager  HD should allow you to connect to your shared network drives - similar as you would do when you connect two laptops via network shares.

From the PC, accessing your tablet:

Via DLNA

You have to have a DLNA server running on the tablet (e.g. Twonky Mobile, trial for download in market) to make it share content via DLNA. On a fresh install, you only have a DLNA client running on the tablet. Media on your tablet are not by default shared on the home network.

'Samba' filesharing

You have to share a directory on the tablet to make it connectable from your home network, I am not sure you can do that on the Sony Tablet, you might need root for that, but perhaps some apps allow to do this. No experience here.

profile.country.en_GB.title
papanose
Visitor

I am trying to connect DLNA, the tablet is connected to the network via wifi but neither the DLNA app or Upnplay can see the server

JOHNWOODHOUSE44
Visitor

You say:

Via network 'Samba' file sharing? for browsing, copying etc. shared directories on a PC?

If  you are connected with wifi to your home network, the app File Manager   HD should allow you to connect to your shared network drives - similar  as you would do when you connect two laptops via network shares.

Can you expand on this, please?

I am using File Manager   HD which comes up with 192.168.1.7 which is my laptop and is wirelessly connected to the network, but the machine which is running Samba is hard-wired to the router and has no wireless card.

Editing the connection to make it read 192.168.1.3 which is the ID of the machine running Samba, produces an error box saying "The connection is not available".

Pinging 192.168.1.3 from the laptop produces a speedy response, and files can be transferred just fine in both directions.

Where do I go from here, please?

John

breedBenR

wireless or wired does not matter as long as each machine connects in some way to the router.

what type of machine is the 192.168.1.3 machine? a laptop? a pc? a loose harddrive?

did you setup a share? did you set up a password/login for it? how did you do this? does the connection work from your laptop to the samba share?

breedBenR

is your laptop setup to be the server? which program do you use for that? WM11? did you also share your media directories ? google for enable dlna windows7 and find many sites with instructions.

JOHNWOODHOUSE44
Visitor

The machine on 192.168.1.3 running the Samba server is actually an Iyonix running RISC OS, a unix type OS, but I don't think this is really relevant: my laptop running Windows7 communicates with it perfectly.

Shares are set up on Samba: the laptop can access all attached drives on the Iyonix.

No, there is no password in operation.

breedBenR

Ok

I would guess:

- in File Manager HD

- upper right menu / LAN Connection

- try 'scan'

- try 'Create Connection'

if it fails:
Go to market, look up File Manager HD, look up email to contact maker, write an email-report that it is not functioning in your set up.

JOHNWOODHOUSE44
Visitor

Thanks, breedBenR, I tried that, scanning in File Manager HD.

It immediately found the laptop (192.168.1.7) which unfortunately doesn't have a server

(perhaps I should figure out how to install one), but failed to find anythng else.

I had checked that the Samba server was working correctly by downloading a file onto the laptop.

I think you're right: I'll try to contact the author of File Manager HD to seek advice.

Thanks anyway,

John