Join now - be part of our community!

Wi-Fi draft n connection

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
R7chardw
Visitor

Wi-Fi draft n connection

Hi,

I've just bought a tablet S for my wife.

Can't connect to my home wi-fi on Wi-Fi "N" on 260Mbps or 130Mbps - the router (a Netgear RangeMax Next DG834N) only has "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]" as the only allowable security protocol when these speeds are connected with a key. Leaving the network as "open" does allow the tablet to connect.

Connecting in "open" mode allowed me to upgrade first to Android 3.2 and then to 3.2.1 (release 2) - so it's up to date. obviously I don't want to leave my wifi open, but having read here that a reboot and forget/reconnect should work, I was hopeful, but it didn't work.

downgrading the router to 802.11 g&b allows me to configure

1.WEP

2.WPA-PSK [TKIP]

3.WPA2-PSK [AES]

4.WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

+ some Radius settings.

I didn't bother trying 1. 2 worked. 3 & 4 did not work.

This is NOT an Android issue. I know that because both my Motorola Xoom [Android 3.1] and my SonyEricsson Ray [Android 2.3] have/had no problems connecting to the router when it was in 260Mbps mode.

Downgrading to WPA is OK, but of course now I have issues with all my other Wi-Fi devices, which incidentally includes

- a Sony SANS300 Wi-fi speaker which needs to be reconnected (painful)

- a Sony SMP-N200 Wi-fi Streaming Media player (needed a couple of reboots)

[both of which had no problems connecting to the Router in 260Mbps mode]

Given my pre-existing Android experience and my pre-existing (and connected) Sony network kit, I'm disappointed that the Tablet is not able to connect with my preferred Router settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Can't connect to my home wi-fi on Wi-Fi "N" on 260Mbps or 130Mbps - the  router (a Netgear RangeMax Next DG834N) only has "WPA-PSK [TKIP] +  WPA2-PSK [AES]" as the only allowable security protocol when these  speeds are connected with a key. Leaving the network as "open" does  allow the tablet to connect.

Hi R7chardw,

I'm sure I was able to connect my tablet to a DG834N..:smileyconfused:

Have you checked you have the latest firmware installed on your DG834N - Latest Firmware Version 1.02.15

When connecting I selected the Wif-Fi network from the list, tapped in the network password (remember this is case specific) & was soon connected..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Can't connect to my home wi-fi on Wi-Fi "N" on 260Mbps or 130Mbps - the  router (a Netgear RangeMax Next DG834N) only has "WPA-PSK [TKIP] +  WPA2-PSK [AES]" as the only allowable security protocol when these  speeds are connected with a key. Leaving the network as "open" does  allow the tablet to connect.

Hi R7chardw,

I'm sure I was able to connect my tablet to a DG834N..:smileyconfused:

Have you checked you have the latest firmware installed on your DG834N - Latest Firmware Version 1.02.15

When connecting I selected the Wif-Fi network from the list, tapped in the network password (remember this is case specific) & was soon connected..

profile.country.en_GB.title
R7chardw
Visitor

Thalamus,

thanks for the advice, firmware upgrade worked perfectly, set the router up to 270 Mbps and still had all the security protocols available, selected mixed and the tablet reconnected straight away.

:slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome R7chardw..:smileyhappy: