Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Gpevans99

Same problem again tonight no picture on x8509 and just sound, needed to reboot this to get picture, if I have to do this a third time it's going back

profile.country.GB.title
Gpevans99

As you can see from the posts just problems not really fit for purpose

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Anonymous in case anyone does not understand the annoying 'screen format: xxx' pop up bug. I have made a one minute video posted on YouTube. During that one minute the message popped up 3 times whilst just watching TV from my sat box via HDMI, no remotes were touched or formats were changed during the video.

This can be viewed at https://youtu.be/LlI2TN1OVuE look at the bottom left corner of the image. (Sorry about the quality)

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frogger38 - thanks for the video of this problem.  It will make it so much easier to report now.

It gets confusing at times on all the issues - there are so many of them.  Im on these forums full time again and will figure a way to sort these out.

dspencer999

My last and final post!

I updated the firmware on my KD55X8509C on Monday, and now have the following problems which I personally find unnacceptable, and is why I'm swapping for a Samsung UE55JU7000 tomorrow;

1) Since last firmware update, I repeatedly have a black screen and just sound on Freeview TV, with only a reboot solving the issue.

2) It takes 5-10 seconds to change channel. I believe this would have been fixed by now if they could, and suspect the same problem will occur in YouView as it's probably the tuner at fault.

3) When selecting Guide, it now pops up immediately, then disappears, then comes up again about 2 seconds later.

4) 3D movies in Plex now won't play at all since last firmware. If you select them in Plex, the screen returns a freeze framed image, and no sound either. These movies played perfectly previously, although it was farce how you have to select 3D in Freeview first!

5) Netflix keeps asking for login details, which take forever to enter, as my password is 20 chars!

6) People look like they've just been Tango'd on some programmes, particularly Channel 4 HD and BBC3 HD, and the newscaster on BBC3 always looks like they are in a very gloomy studio too. Not how it appeared on my old Samsung Plasma!

7) YouView still not available, which is one of the main reasons I bought the TV in the first place, and I can't get any of the catch up channels other than BBC iPlayer in the mean time. It was very cold this morning, if it's still supposed to be Summer!

😎 My other main reason for buying was the twin tuners, and Sony now say this is not compatible with YouView. Whilst I understand the reasoning, I bought this TV thing I'd be able to use both features simultaneously.

9) All 3D movies play extremely dark, so that they are practically unwatchable.

10) Since the last firmware, I can no longer get Casting to work.

I do really like the Android layout, and feel that this TV could have been good. But because the firmware updates are taking so long to emerge, I have lost faith that the hardware itself is up to spec. My concerns there are;

1) The processor is under powered at Dual Core, when the new Philips TVs are Hex Core, and Samsungs are Quad Core.

2) The network card is 100Mb, which I find shocking when you can pick up a gigabit one so cheaply!

3) The remotes already seem very worn, and I've only had this TV for 2 months.

4) I seriously wonder whether the tuner is the cause of the speed issues in Freeview.

Finally, quite frankly I am bored with complaining about this TV, as I'm sure we all are. Quarterly updates to the firmware have not helped the situation, and I have no faith that this TV will ever be what I thought it was going to be. I'm therefore prepared to pay an additional £180 tomorrow for an identical Samsung, that I know will work!

Bye Everyone! And Good Luck!

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

on a different issue, could anyone advise on how to view photos or stream music from Win 10 pc WMP12. streaming is turned on and pc shows tv, blu-ray player etc, on local network,  ran a diagnostics check on kd 558509c, shows my pc but "failled to connect with server" Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Have you checked your network share settings on PC?  You need to allow the TV to access your computer 

Brigante01

@rsebre Yes 1080p@120hz worked perfectly fine before the firmware update. It's not a mode that I use but as with most PC related things we always try to push things as far as possible.

No dead pixels on my panel. I remember back in the CRT projector days we had to be careful what to feed them but not heard of a out of spec signal causing pixel damage before.

It's well known at least across enthusiats sites/forums that many HD and 4K TV's can do 120hz when lowering the resolution. HD TV's for example often accept 720p@120hz and many 4K can do 1080p@120hz.

In perticular the X830C has been recognised to work at 120hz, for example here.

Also I have read the specs and manual as well. It was the first thing I did before I bought it during my research of which model to get.

I'm very happy with my purchase. Unlike many others I like IPS panels so the X830C was perfect for me. I'm running it at 4K@60hz and now @ 4:4:4 so I couldn't be more pleased really.

Thank you for your concern though.

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

Hi yes "access allowed" shows for tv, blu-ray etc

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@notspurs

Think it may be the infamous cast issue people are now reporting.  Have you tried right click and cast from the PC yet?