Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

no, i will give it a try when the Mrs stops watching the soaps! also not savvy on cast, what is it i need to do?

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

LOL,  I feel your pain! 

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

I have an issue with the IR Blaster. On the Sky+HD box it moves three spaces at a time when pressing left or right and up or down. I have made an issue of the video

n.mccormack
Explorer

I'll try that.  Feeling sceptical though!

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Anonymous 

Further info for people testing the firmware:

1) I have discovered that the screen format pop up problem can be cleared or at least very much reduced in frequency if I power cycle the TV. But it returns or gets more frequent as the TV is used over a period of time requiring another power reset.

2) I too, have now suffered the blank screen but with sound problem described by others in this thread at which point the system becomes so unresponsive it has to be power cycled by unplugging as the 'hold the standby button' method will not respond.

i strongly recommend that those testing ensure that the test models are left permanently powered in the lab as these issues seem to progress after periods of use and exercising the operating system. If the sets are reset or de-powered after a period of testing time the issues may not become apparent. This might be why issues crept past the testing. 

A nice feature to consider would be the ability to back up our customisations to a USB stick so we can restore them after a factory reset that seems to be needed after firmware updates. I have taken to recording my tweaks on a spreadsheet. Of course then we have to re-install apps etc. So save downloaded apps to the stick also. 

I am of the opinion that if support teams work together with us on this forum and resolve reported issues the sets could become the true 'flagship' models Sony hoped for but at the moment they are just an embarrassment to the company. I have just had a notification from the Support app that casting issue is a temporary problem being worked on. The stability of the system is a big showstopper for people who want a reliable entertainment device. I have a 6 year old Sony in my bedroom which has never once 'glitched' and in some respect this is why I changed my primary TV from Panasonic to Sony. I'd like to be patient with Sony and not return my TV as it could become a 'Great TV' when problems are resolved. However it would be good if we could get some assurance from Sony about follow up support after the model goes out of production and /  or compensation for all the inconvenience they keep apologising for. Basically what I am saying when all the teething troubles are gone and they launch the 'perfect' 2016 model, we should get a free swap out for our contribution to the design. I am lucky there is no one in my household pressuring me to return it for a competitor's model, but it has got to meet advertised specification and be fit for purpose within a few months. The step to running a TV on an operating system designed for a mobile phone might have been one step to far too soon. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
johndstephen83
Explorer

Am I the only one still suffering from the lip sync issue on the X830 range? 

I sat sat down to watch some outlander on Blu Ray last night. Watched an hours episode without any noticeable issues. Once that finished, put on the movie Elysium. Immediate lip sync noticable - the picture being Infront of the sound. 

Im using a Panasonic 4K ups scaling blu Ray player and have tried connecting it in different HDMI ports to see if this solves it but no joy yet. I've also tried the new HDMI enhanced feature on or off, again with no luck. Curiously enough, my Panasonic Freeview recording box is connected via HDMI also but has no lip sync issue. 

The funny thing is that this issue appears to be worse now than before the firmware update. 

ezeest

I really can't understand how such a simple thing gets past testing, sending the correct IR code should be basic nowadays any other product would have no problem operating a SKY HD box but the new 2015 BRAVIAS can't manage it!

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

The 2 faint lines at the bottom of my 49x8307c's screen stretching right across it are dead pixel lines, engineer sent out by JL yesterday confirmed, new screen / tv required. will get back to me next week with Sony's / JL's solution.

Still have 45 days left on JL's return policy so going to let this run a while.....................

People with the issue "Screen format: Full"... If its only on HDMI/external box, maybe its your cable or the box sending wrong information?

At home I only get this message when changing input and our 20+ tv's in the store do the exact same - and they are up-to-date, on and used 8-10 hours straight every single day. We have cable, satellite, 4K player, PlayStation and a lot more connected across the sets and not a single one is showing this issue?

So.. maybe its a faulty Youview box (or whatever you have connected) - I know the Stofa Zaptor box did the same thing a few years ago here in DK (across all sets with HDMI though).

haberdavid

Someone has a proble, with playing movies in plex app.

It seems like the movie has a little lags when playing it on the android tv app.

Any Help guys...