Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Triswillmott

@Risc0n that's what I intend to do.. Didn't pay all that money to have a tv I'm not happy with.. Now taking the complaint to the ombudsman aswell because I've not much faith left in Sony anymore. Agreed in regards to @Anonymous, it's why I come on here and seek his advice before proceeding.
MrLizard

Hi @Anonymous

I've been away for a few days hence I wasn't able to reply to your question as to whether the issue I reported with All 4 freezing and taking YouView with it was still occuring.  I've not used All 4 since last weekend, although I was using it pretty regularly (re-watching the first series of Peep Show) from Wednesday to Saturday last week.  It would run into problems at least once a night.

What seems to happen is that All 4 will just grind to a complete halt mid-stream.  The picture freezes and the app goes completely unresponsive.  I have to hit the home button on the remote control to get out of the app, but if I then try to navigate to broadcast TV, I can't, indicating that YouView has gone as well.  I have to reboot the TV to restore service.  One thing I have not tried is to disable then re-enable YouView when the issue occurs.  I'll give that a go next time and report back.

What I would say is that the All 4 app is a bit unreliable on the iOS devices that I use, so it seems possible that there's at least some shared code between the YouView/Android and iOS versions that is at fault.

Either way this does seem to indicate some coupling between YouView and a rather flaky All 4 app which is a bit of a concern.  I guess if All 4 is stamping all over YouView's memory or is failing to release (or even arbitrarily grabbing) thread mutexes, then it just may be that YouView's API isn't quite paranoid enough about misuse by third parties!  This is all conjecture of course.  I've no idea whatsoever as to the nature of YouView's software architecture, although what I'm observing does make me speculate as to the level of coupling between YouView and the apps it apparently hosts.

moda101
Explorer

Hi Folks

I have decided to return my KDL-50w805c.  I have given Sony every opportunity to get this right in the 4 months that i have had this tv and i am reluncutantly returning the set, I followed my head over my heart in this one and cannot keep a tv that does not function correctly.  A few of the major features of the Sony 2015 range being pushed back for release to the last week of 2015 is simply not good enough.  Luckily, Amazon have been helpful and agree to give me a full refund even after 4 months. 

I am an avid Sony fan and for the first time in my life I will be looking for another brand of tv, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know on good replacements.   These tvs had some serious potential but Sony cannot seem to sort its pitfalls, I have a few Amazon Firetv sticks (£35) and they function better.  To all those keeping up the good fight, i really think it will be a disgrace if you are not compensated in someway if Sony cannot sort the tvs. i hope you get your just reward but i simply cannot take it anymore.  

Good luck folks and thank youfor the help and advice of the past few months!

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

now on my second 49x8307c, first one has some missing pixel lines so John Lewis insisted on repairing / replacing it, new tv had already been loaded with the latest updates so that was a bonus. 

Still suffering all the usual black screen, white screen and lag time on most features or when changing between inputs or channels and now to add insult to injury was watching a show last night with plenty of dark footage shots and i have 2 large areas of whitish / grey, 1 in either lower corner when it should be black, is this what is referred to as screen bleed, brilliant.

Another call going into JL me thinks!

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@rdlowry I also have the ability to slow the system down to a point where remote key presses do nothing. This is when I have worked the YouView quite hard. When this happens, I sometimes get a completely dead set except the Led is on. If I leave it in this state for 5 minutes I can then operate the remote again enough to do a power reset, by holding the standby button. So now I need to power cycle the TV once or twice a day. I find you have to be 'gentle' with YouView not rushing it to prevent this issue. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
SingingDwarf

My retailer agreed, after some pushing from me, to take the Sony Bravia KDL-43W805C back.

I cited the fact that they advertised the TV with HDD recording, which is not currently available and Sony are unable to confirm when the feature will be available.

I hope this debacle is a lesson to Sony - and to any other manufacturer who plan to release products that are unfinished. 

profile.country.GB.title
ryanmadden
Explorer

Hi is anybody else having issues with their x850c regarding the non responsiveness of changing channels and volume etc....iv reset my tv and update it etc but it still lags quite a lot when giving the tv certain commands..any ideas?thanks ryan

Twobins

I was really hoping Sony could sort this out - I returned my 43K to John Lewis a few months ago as I was worried about the timetable for the missing features. It seems from contributors that the sluggishness of Youview, the sacrifice of satellite and the problems with recording are preventing me from buying another one of these sets. (I was waiting until Black Friday for a bargain)  Its a pity because the set looks nice and 43 inches suits my room. Might start looking at the Panasonic TX40CX802B.

Sony should be ashamed of themselves. It seems they are burying their heads in the sand.

ianbeany
Explorer

Hello chaps.

I bought the KD55X8509C from John Lewis about 7 weeks ago.  All the bugs and issues (the usual stuff as reported by many others on here) are becoming more and more irritating and getting worse if anything.

Im sick of it and have decided I just want a refund but JL are having none of it.  They say all they can do is send an engineer out and replace it if he deems it faulty. A refund is out of the question.

I keep reading on various forums how other people have been getting refunds after 2-3 months no problem at all so Im a bit p****d off.

Any advice on how I should handle this please guys?

Cheers

elraouk

Hmm, that doesn't sound good.  I thought JL had a 90 day return policy, was the other reason I bought from them and not a cheaper retailer.