Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awe thanks guys

Sorry i have missec some of your posts today - just catching up now.  Like another forum member (frogger38) my notifications are not working at current, including the ones where you use the @ symbol.

@Triswillmott - your issue about light bleed and DSE has been escalated already (by a Sony staff member) - you have had some rotten luck lately.

To all - reading through the posts of today, are we agreed that after a period of time, YouView becomes sluggish and unresponsive and therefore the TV requires a full reboot ?

Pablokay
Explorer

Since updating to youview the tv is much worse for me at times unusable it freezes refuses to turn up or down intermittently and won't power off (black screen just sound) or goes to home screen and won't do anything. 

i have just dissabled youview and gone back to normal freeview to see if it improves. 

Worst tv experience ever and we only bought ours 3 weeks ago. 

profile.country.GB.title
ryanmadden
Explorer

How do you disable youview?im having same issues..and also if you disable it is there a way to still use all4 itvplayer 5ondemand etc etc..? Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ryanmadden - you will not be able to use All4 and ITVplayer upon disablind YouView.  

To disable, instructions are HERE

Twobins

@ianbeany - I just told them I wasn't happy with the performance of the tv - rebooting - sluggishness - no 5.1 audio on Netflix etc and at that time it was missing Youview and HD recording. If you're not happy and as long as you return it in a condition that they can sell it on, then you can return it under their 90 days returns policy. Did you tell them you thought it was defective? If so maybe they think it just needs fixed? In any event, stick to your guns and tell them you don't want it as its not fit for purpose. They already know this as lots of these sets have been returned. I'll be buying my next set from them because of their returns policy. They couldn't have been more helpful to me. I received a full refund.

Good luck.

@Pablokay. More or less the same here with a 43x8309. Although faster then when we first bought it, each firmware upgrade has made it less stable. Its had the youview update (now disabled because I want sat source) and it generally has to be rebooted every few hours if we want to do something like swap from watching terrestrial TV to streaming from amazon (which it often refuses to do). The remote has now got two exciting failure modes - one where the led under the tv brightens to show a button on the remote has been pressed, but nothing actually happens - and two when it just ignores the remote completely.  It also does the blank screen and sound thing.

Shame, if I only ever wanted to watch BBC1  it would be great, but as I want it to do the other things I paid for I'm taking a deep breath and going to PCWorld on Monday to start what I'm sure will be a battle to get the TV returned for a refund. Whenever it starts playing up, I've started taking short videos on my phone so I have something to show PCWorld in the hope that might help, but I'm not hopeful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Unhappy_43x8309_owner have a read of the new UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 that came into force for purchases made on or after 1 October 2015

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/general-chat/consumer-rights-act-2015/m-p/2055673

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Quinnicus wrote:

To all - reading through the posts of today, are we agreed that after a period of time, YouView becomes sluggish and unresponsive and therefore the TV requires a full reboot ?

@Anonymous Mine certainly has done this a couple of times. Last night after a full reboot I tried to reproduce it, but it was quite stable. I believe it is more likely to happen if you use one of the on demand apps from withing the guide then return to the guide after watching a programme from the past 7 days. I'll do more tests and report back.

BTW.. I've sent a PM to a community manager, with full details of the notifications issues. Even a new account I set up doesn't work, nor does PM notifications (when enabled). It is possible that the manager may not see the PM because his alerts may have failed :laughing:

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
malcolm1962

Well, I finally gave up the battle with my x8309 and this morning I returned it to store and got a full refund from Currys. I bought it about 8 weeks ago and used the Sales of Goods Act 1979 as the basis; not being as described (lack of HDD recording specifically). I did pre-empt having to negotiate with store staff by getting the Head Office complaints team to agree to the return beforehand (SCCCustomerSolutionsTeam@knowhow.com). I was in and out of the store within 10 minutes.

Re-connected my 7 year old Bravia and I'm struck by what I consider to be a superior picture to what I ever got from the new set. I'm now going to hang fire for a while before buying a new replacement.

lesking70

Hi @Anonymous yes I'll confirm the youview problem last night was unbelievable it took 5 mins to get to the home menu to access the settings,  from there I did I full factory reset,  been running brilliant since then fast and responsive,  don't think I should be doing this many factory restores though i think this is number 10