Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
cholma1963
Explorer

Last few days (I presume since the recent update), the picture I've got set for Sky+ seems to to be shifting from lighter to darker as it changes channels. I thought that auto dimming was turned n again, but it isn't.

I've tried fiddling with the settings, but nothing seems to cure this. Not sure if it's Sky causing it, rather than settings on the TV.

However - one thing is that FILM MODE was set to HIGH. I've tried setting it to off, but no matter what I reset it to, it stays as HIGH.

Am I missing something here, or is this a fault I should report ?

Brotherton2830
Explorer

Have you returned it yet? We have the latest update ( Dec 2015 ) and it still freezes, restarts itself, loses channels and so on. Sony support is expecting owners to fix this mess. We have done a factory reset as suggested. They seem to think we should accept this as normal and something all computers do! I looked after a network of 140 Pcs and did not restart as often! 

elraouk

At the risk of asking a relevant question with regards how these sets work, and a request for advice...  I've bought a yamaha sound bar (ysp1600) and have it set up correctly as far as I can tell (using HDMI 4 ARC to the output(arc) on the bar as shown in the manual. Sound settings I've set tv speakers to "audio system" and under Bravia Sync Settings: Bravia sync control = onAuto devices off = onAuto TV on = off (have tried on and nothing happened) Shows up an an audio system under Bravia sync device list on hdmi 4 (also shows various phantom devices on hdmi 1, which is empty....)  With the bar on, I get sound (can't tell if plex is outputting DTS to the bar or not as there's no display on the bar, and the osd only works when tv has hdmi 4 as the source!), the bar volume is controlled by the TV remote and when I turn the TV off the sound bar turns off.  So far so good... But the TV won't turn the bar on, is there something I've missed?  I'm thinking something on the sound bar, but there's no option in the menu to enable/disable power on. 
Kevwoods12

Auto TV on = on? Maybe

elraouk

I tried that, no difference. I'd assumed that was to allow the TV to be turned on via an hdmi source (which may be the cause for many people having tvs that refuse to turn off!).  Have since noticed that the TV does turn the sound bar on, after 45 seconds!  I actually timed it!  Looks like I can get DD5.1 from plex using audio pass through function (PMS reports it as a direct play, so not transcoding the audio track and there's only one track there); however with audio pass through set to "auto" it won't playback anything with DTS audio.  My soundbar does DTS, my guess is that the plex app can't pass it through. Just tried again and noticed the pms is trying to transcode DTS to ac3, but it's not working!  It's not an issue of server hardware as it's not braking a sweat, so something for plex to sort out hopefully. 
EggDublin

@Peter_S.

Peter, can you give us any definative answer on when the next firmware update is due. The Sony info page changes a lot and the Feb EU/March UK update is specific to features, PIP etc, which to be honest is the least of most peoples issues on this forum.

Is there a bugfix release planned this side of Christmas or in January? Clarity would be great and might allow some people to make decisions on whether they want to keep the units or not.

Thanks

Kevwoods12

@elraouk

I'm not sure how it's supposed to be set up correctly, in the absence of a proper manual, but in the bravia sync settings I have everything on. This way when I press the sky button on the sky remote,  the sky box,  TV and soundbar switch on. It does take some time for audio to come from the soundbar as you've noticed. 

I'd love to know how to power it down the same way,  it all has to be done separately at the  moment. 

elraouk

I deliberately have the TV on setting set to off, as my sky box is the other side of a distribution matrix, connected to 3 tvs.  I've not checked if HDBaseT handles remote cec commands, probably not, but if it did 8 wouldn't want app 3 tvs coming on!  Sounds like you have the "turn connected devices off" setting on the TV set correctly to "on", you may have to check if there's a setting on the sky box etc. to allow it to be powered down by the TV.  My soundbar just has a blanket enable/disable option for hdmi control. 
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

Here is my promised update since Dec 10th update AND a factory reset. Still fresh set up no apps installed other than supplied ones. Less than a day since factory reset. 

1) using YouView search, via the remote and on screen keyboard, the response is so slow, laggy and erratic it took me 4 attempts to enter a 3 letter search string. 

I'll add to the list as and when I discover more. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
alanxce

I am another one who can't use Amazon Prime UHD, comes up with licence_error and please contact Amazon Customer Services. Maybe sometime next week if it doesn't come back.