Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
frankie1g

I wonder if youview say.to Sony. But your fix does bugger all mate Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@frankie1g wrote:
I wonder if youview say.to Sony. But your fix does bugger all mate Sent from my Samsung device

YouView actively monitor feedback from certain individuals as to how YouView is working on these Sony TVs, and how well the Sony TVs are working underneath YouView.

But who these individuals might be, I am unable to say.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
nik-007

Thanks a ton for these instructions!

After 2 days of struggle with Sony Care, where update was not completing via online or USB, with no outcome, even they were arranging replacement, came to this page and followed instructions worked like charm.

Thanks for posting this info!!

c0001349
Explorer

Well, after 29 days of frustrating ownership I returned my kd49x8309c + soundbar to the Sony Centre they were purchased from. After describing the range of issues encountered (and mentioning this thread) I was expecting a no quibbles refund but in the end a little more persistence was required. On returning my set the shop staff reset it to factory defaults and flicked thru the menus for 10mins claiming there were no problems. Even after quoting consumer rights act, 30 day right to reject, not as described bla bla bla they wanted to leave the set on "soak test" overnight to prove there were no faults. They rang me the following day stating that no faults were experienced but offering me a refund anyway which I took without hesitation. In retrospect I feel sorry for the staff having to face the flak from customers rightly unhappy with TVs that really shouldn't be on sale.  The final straw for me was Sony missing the 24th December promised delivery of HDD recording and discovering via this thread I was far from alone. Reading the posts I lost all confidence that Sony would ever deliver a stable plaform. For those stuck with sets I really do hope Sony sort this mess out - not having bought a TV for many years I assumed Sony was still a quality brand - how times change. 

Latest news dated 22 December from Sony.

Looks like they're trying to deflect the blame towards the remote rather than the OS and the TVs judging by the number of times they mention the remote control in three lines (3). Hard to believe that my remote is causing my TV to clog up its own memory and develop a mind of its own.  Poor effort Sony. Just fix the sets.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/android-tv-features-uk-22-dec

PA

HAPPY BUNNY. R£TURNED MY USELESS SONY ANDROID TV UNDER CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015. R£SULT=R£FUND!
Clarksdale
Explorer

I have returned a 55X8509 to Currys for a full refund after 14 days with no hassle.

I have noticed that the description for this set has changed on Richer Sounds as follows "USB recording will be available before 31st March 2016. However, due to the technical complexity implementing this feature, the final release date(s) stipulated on Sony's support site may be subject to change. For PiP/PaP feature Browser/Tuner, USB/Tuner, Tuner/Tuner combinations are not available. NOTE: HDD recording (REC) and Satellite features are not available if YouView functionality is enabled. YouView on Sony TVs will offer consumers a consistent and easy to use YouView experience, including scroll back, search, discover and catch up TV (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4 and Demand 5). YouView functionality includes access to all the normal free-to-air channels via the YouView guide and mini guide.

This has only just changed in the last few days, so I assume Sony or RS are covering their backsides in the in the event of returns due to SOG.

frankie1g

So if you got the TV before this was changed you should have no problem returning under s of g act Sent from my Samsung device
cozzykim

@Clarksdale wrote:

I have returned a 55X8509 to Currys for a full refund after 14 days with no hassle.

I have noticed that the description for this set has changed on Richer Sounds as follows "USB recording will be available before 31st March 2016. However, due to the technical complexity implementing this feature, the final release date(s) stipulated on Sony's support site may be subject to change. For PiP/PaP feature Browser/Tuner, USB/Tuner, Tuner/Tuner combinations are not available. NOTE: HDD recording (REC) and Satellite features are not available if YouView functionality is enabled. YouView on Sony TVs will offer consumers a consistent and easy to use YouView experience, including scroll back, search, discover and catch up TV (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4 and Demand 5). YouView functionality includes access to all the normal free-to-air channels via the YouView guide and mini guide.

This has only just changed in the last few days, so I assume Sony or RS are covering their backsides in the in the event of returns due to SOG.

You guys are becoming habituated to the faults in these TVs, a sort of 'Stockholm Syndrome' as I've said before.

Today I've done several things that were either impossible or difficult with my, returned, 55X8509.

1. Tuned to the Astra 28.2 UHD demo

2. Recorded it on a 16GB USB drive

3. Tuned back to FreeSat

4. Started watching 'Ice Station Zebra' on DTV/FreeView

5. Checked that both DTV and Sat tuners were working by starting PIP on the same channel

Samsung UE55JU7000_PIP.JPG

The only functionality that I miss from the Bravia is the integrated chromecast, the casting on the Sammy JU7000 is a bit clunky by comparison.

idanre1
Explorer

Hi
I have lg g3 smartphone and sony bravia2015 with google cast v1.17.46918
Both phone and tv are updated to latest firmware versions

I am having problems with google cast VIDEO only functionality

Tested apps:

youTube,TED,localcast,npr-one,google-photos

When tv UI language Is Hebrew:
When i cast a video from phone I only hear sound and see subtitles/osd but see black screen - no video is presented.

When i cast radio/audio/pictures the cast is fine

When tv ui language is English the cast works fine for all apps and all types of casts.

I think the Google cast app for android tv has a bug when the language UI is right to left instead of the default left to right orientation.

Can you please help?

Thanks

Idan

shtira

Oh dear friends, you are so polite in your try to suppress your anger to SONY bunch of liers.

It is so touchy.

Sorry I can not. After the second lie about the 24th DEC upgrade which would let the HD REC.

I am considering the possibility to bring SONY to court for moral losses .... or whatever is the English term for *****.

Edited by Drew - Profanity removed