Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@alekoo8

Can you please try reinstalling Kodi. As I understand you need to reinstall apps after  every system update.

alekoo8
Explorer

I forgot to mention I've already tried to install it from Google Play. I searched for it. Only a handful of video apps were displayed. I tried to download it from the Kodi site but the Sony browser Opera wouldn't allow the pop up download window with link to display.

I'm trying to find the link on XDA Developers for hacking Sony Bravia Android TV's. I might put the ARM installer on a USB stick and see what happens. If not can you use Side load to install it?

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

Please try updating google play first.

and3ys
Explorer

Download es file explorer on the TV and an android phone or tablet
Then on the phone or tablet download the kodi apk file
Open es file explorer on the TV and leave open
Now open it from your phone or tablet and find the kodi apk file hold down
on that file till it shows its selected with a tick
In the top right corner will be 3 dots press this and find the send option
Select your Sony TV
A pop up will show on the TV asking you to accept the file
Now find the kodi apk on the TV using es file explorer and open it
This will install kodi,!
Please check you have the latest update for Google playstore first.
If not then use this as a work around
Hope this helps
Andy
alekoo8
Explorer

Hmm. Now that changes things.

It's a bit late to start messing around with the TV. I will try this tomorrow. Thanks peeps for the great advice. I will come back to you tomorrow.

profile.country.GB.title
Oddbin
Explorer

I used to have this problem too. I figured out that the sound level for these is set to the same as the internal TV speaker volume and not the global one that my Soundbar and any apps obey. Presuming you have a soundbar if you press the action memu and then select TV speakers it should pop up a volume bar at probably 100%. Jam it down to 20%+- and then press action menu again but this time select apeakers, not TV speakers, and select your soundbar again. 

With the update before this one that volume seemed to stick after being set but before that anytime I had to restart it would reset to 100%. Not been on the latest FW to fully test but I would presume it should stick.

elraouk

Kodi is there on Google play store on my updated 49X8305C. 
peterrbowman
Explorer

Why Oh Why does Youview have to disable my Freesat tuner? I bought my TV because I wanted a freesat tuner and  4OD, which last June I was told I would have when the 'late summer' upgrade arrived.

Now I find Youview disables my satelite tuner and indeed the KD43X805C is now sold as only having a freeview tuner. 

I use freesat as I watch regional TV from remote areas (eg Motorcycle racing on BBC NI).

Is there any chance that a future upgrade may allow Youview and satelite capability to co-exist?

chbjerg

I have a Sony CT-60 Soundbar, that used to work perfectly with my Z5500 TV, that I just replaced with a X8509C. On the new tv, when I change the volume (and the soundbar is playing the sound) the volume goes up on both TV and Soundbar. It's not a huge problem, but still annoys me. Shouldn't the internal speakers be disabled, when Soundbar is set to output sound, like they where on my old model?

Also this morning the TV (newest update) turned it self on twice within 15 minutes. I woke up with it turned on, which I found strange as I've set an inactivity timer of 2 hours on it. I have yet to test if it was the CEC enabled Raspberry Pi i connected to HDMI3 that did it.

Tall.Paul
Explorer

Well, after installing the latest update  a few days ago, i come down today to see the tv had turned itself on over night and triggred the XT3 Base to come on as well so an instant concern is that i go away for  a few days this hapens and the screen goes to pot/wasted electricity etc. Im mainly using the screen for sky and netflix for the last few months so not really have any concern for Youview ect but after this and the other historical issues id say that certainlywith the sudden "self awreness" of the tv decding to turn on there are now further clear grounds to return these sets surely. On-top of that my 2TB sky hd has gone and failed its hard drive so whilst not related it just adds to my sudden frustation with techonlogy,and i love gadgtes.

Edit: TV is 43x8309