Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

Yes a factory reset doesn't affect the firmware level I'm afraid..
profile.country.GB.title
petersincock

I too find that i have been lucky so far with my set KDL-43W805C, purchased in January at a cracking price. On the back to the TV it says Manfacture date is 12/2015. The only problem i have encountered is the occasional lag with the remote, i switch to sideview app then. Also find YouView a pain and laggy so just dont use. Running the latest UK FW i had one instance of the google play store being empty but after the 5 second power button reboot, i havent seen this since. 

Is it more the 4K Android sets that are seeing the most problems ? 

oodles2do

It could be the 4K sets have more to process to get it to the higher resolution, but mine is 4K. The model is KD - 49X8305C

polesitter
Explorer

Since that latest firmware on 2nd feb, we get tv with no sound and locked up after being on standby for a few hours, have to unplug tv and black back in to get it to work, was fine before last update

Anyone else have this?

Chris

profile.country.GB.title
jamiehan2004
Explorer

Chris,

Yes, mine has exactly the same issue of no sound, no remote and have to unplug and plug back in.  Until I contact Sony on monday I have found a fix that will stop the hanging.  You need to go into settings, external inputs and turn off remote start.

Jamie

MusicalChris
Explorer

Hi Jamie, i have looked on my tv and do not have any remote start option to turn off or on?  have had another reply to say do a factory reset but am not keen on this as would have to redo a lot of settings

Cheers

Chris

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@paulryan37 wrote:

I have done a factory restore to try and stop the tv switching itself on. I thought this would return it to the day it was built but no it still has the latest faulty 3179 firmware on it. 

A Factory Reset is kind of 'how it would come from the factory if it came today'.

Sony, like YouView, lacks a mechanism for reverting to a previous software release when the latest is even worse than its predecessor.

Both need a large button marked 'Better the devil you know' 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@EggDublin wrote:

I did my last update without leaving the TV on after the install and I am having some problems.

Does anyone know if it is possible to reinstall the same version of firmware? 

Sony might be able to, but you can't 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@equinoximmure wrote:

Why is it that in some instances (on other websites) you have people saying that they have had no issues whatsoever with their TV since purchase and then on the other hand so many problems being reported here? Are there particular models that are affected more than others? Or do Sony's later builds incorporate more hefty processors?

I think the issues, being in the Android software common to all these sets, is likely to affect them all equally.

If there were hardware fixes that could be done, I think we would have heard about sets going back and having these retrofitted; we don't hear any such. I make a possible exception for the 2016 sets, but I don't think they are out yet, are they?

Even here, we have seen that usage patterns make a difference; those who use their TV as not much more than a monitor for their Sky box seem to have many fewer problems than those who poke about in all the dark corners of the smartness on these sets.

Also, those 'monitor' users are, paradoxically, probably less tolerant than people here; if the sets works for what they do with it, fine; if it doesn't, whoosh, back to the shop it goes to be replaced with one from a brand that does work.

They aren't hanging on in a sort of reversal of the sour grapes fable, going 'sweet picture grapes', 'sweet price grapes' while their mouth puckers every time the set self-reboots, or Sony announce that HDD recording has been put back another few months.

So people for whom the sets work self-select; they stay happily outside the normal population of optimists, masochists and wannabe beta testers who report here daily on the latest calamity that has befallen them, or how, with relief, they unshackled from the ball and chain when they finally got shot of their set, and got their refund...

DarrellM
Explorer

Well for me, I bought mine back in June 2015 (KDL-43W807C), I put up with the lack of iplayer, itvplayer, Youview etc and the TV was updated to all those over the course of June - December 2015. 

I put up with the lip sync issues, the slow tv guide, the 30 second remote control freezes, the issues with powering off, etc... etc...

Now the Feburary firmware update has come along, the TV totally is bricked after that update and I'm without any kind of working TV. What category would you put me in  :slight_smile: :slight_smile: !!!!