Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
diver5
Explorer

@frogger38 cheers for trying, my tv is 2015 KDL 55W755C but I've got Youview disabled as I'm using the USB recording.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

Bug with new firmware

Google Play Music was running on my KDL-43W756C this morning with sound out via optical cable to my LG Soundbar. I switched off the TV but not the soundbar. All music playback stopped as expected.

With the soundbar still on, unwanted music playback resumed, but restarting the playlist, some minutes later. The indicator light on the TV was off.

I tried it all again and the bug is repeatable.

profile.country.GB.title
nodrog47

re KD43x 8305 usb hdd recording,I have connected a seagste 240 gb portable hdd with recording and playback pause ,play ff all working fine,

But if I power down with the remote control the hdd is still powered by usb 3 with drive spinning,I was hoping to leave the drive connected permanently.

Is there any way to stop drive spinning or do I need to power down when TV is not in use,or will a ssd drive be a better option.

Any advise would be appreciated

regards

adyjay33

I have noticed this too, looks like they want to wear out your hardrive quickly so you buy Sonys own brand... looks like there is a bug in this.

Anyone else have this issue?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
mk1.golf.1983

I have noticed this too, I connected our 500gb Samsung drive a few months ago and noticed that the drive was spinning up/ winding down every so often even without the tv turned on. I am concerned about the longevity of our drive! Couple that with the lack of pvr type function i.e pause and rewind tv, the fact that I cannot partition the drive to have one side recording and one side storage and the long list of other niggles and faults with this tv makes for a VERY POOR purchase! Did I mention that we have had our tv replaced with new 5 times, yes five times!

mk1.golf.1983

I could also add as it's hdd related... Since the latest firmware update there is a bug where ethernet is randomly not recognised with the tv saying it's not connected but it is and our network is fine, it did glitch a couple of times during ownership of all the tv's we've had of recent, anyway the way that this would be fixed would be to hold down the power button and soft reboot the system, that problem is now cured until the next time. Now, if I soft reboot the system the tv fails to restart and just hangs on the Sony logo screen, the only way to get it going is to remove the hard drive. Once removed it starts up, plug the drive back in and it works as it should?

Pile of junk! Sony KDL43W755C 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All

There has been quite a few comments over a period of time in regards to your concerns that Sony would cut support of their 2015 TV range once the 2016 TVs get released. I hope to put your mind at ease over this issue.

There are three particular categories:

• OS Support – At CES 2016, Sony announced that 2015 Android TV models will also receive the update to Android 6.0. Therefore it is reasonable to expect continued support and development.
  • Bug Fixes – Sony does not have a time limit in which it stops fixing major bugs and other issues.
  • Apps – As time goes on, some 3rd party providers of apps may decide to stop supporting their apps. This goes for both Android and non-Android based TVs. This is something that Sony (as well as other manufacturers) have little control over. However, with Android TVs there is a large development community as well as a larger range of choice.

Hopefully this helps ease some of your concerns

Cheers

mk1.golf.1983

Not really!

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@mk1.golf.1983

Yes there is an issue since previous firmware which is not solved with latest, at 5GHz connections.

Seems like transmition or receiver sensitivity at 5 GHz is set by drivers in firmware at Low Setting. There is no problem at 2.4GHz.

I usually resolve by soft reboot or placing a wireless repeater closer to TV set.

KD-55X8508C

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

New feature request

• I use a BT mouse to navigate apps etc. In the home page I can scroll with mouse wheel, but not use mouse buttons to click on tabs. Would be good if I could click on apps.

Generally very happy with the new build, now it has originally promised features and is quite responsive.

Now I have disabled YouView so I can use HDD rec, there is a new? Issue, which I though was resolved...

MINOR issue 

• Screen flickers off and back on when accessing the TV guide and sometimes when entering HOME screen.

Pass my thanks to Sony, I am happy that I waited for the updates and not exchanged the set for an alternative a suggested by my retailer. I would like to be able to use Youview without disabling HDD feature though.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.