Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@scoopy6 wrote:

PS we don't have satellite connected, but could it possibly be something to do with there being a pair of terrestrial tuners?

As as mine is the 2k version I only have a single tuner. I have satellite connected, but nothing tuned as the setting are trashed when you enable and disable Youview.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GR.title
NPatri

I don't know if my case is the same as described in the previous posts. When I press Guide button while watching a tv channel, there is a black screen and after while the EPG appears, few seconds later the channel also appears in the background. When I Press the Exit button, black screen and after few seconds channel appears. Is this normal..?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@frogger38 @scoopy6

Ive re-opened the epg flickering issue and will report it back to Sony.

@NPatri - this is normal operation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For the people having WiFi and ethernet connectivity problems - I have created a breakaway thread :

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/android-tv-wifi-and-ethernet-issues/m-p/2144442

As you can imagine, its very hard to troubleshoot or get to the bottom of things in a very large thread such as this one - information gets lost otherwise.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
AMT888
Explorer

I have just read your post l have the same issue on my KD55X8509C.  My Ethernet connection stopped working a few days ago.  I thought it was a problem with the cable but the cable works with other devices.  Do you know if this is a widespread problem and if there is a fix?  

My touch remote has also stopped working I don't know if this is related or just a coinsidense. 

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

orientboy
Explorer

The touch remote not working is most likley the Bluetooth on the TV has switched its self off. Its a issue which the latest update did not fix.

You have to reboot the TV (not on/off) but un plug and plug back in let it start up then bluetooth comes on and the touch pad works

Never known so many niggling issues with a TV as this one

scoopy6

@frogger38 @Anonymous yes I would call it more of a 'slow blink' than a 'flicker'.

It also happens between viewing the list of recordings and return to the current Tv channel.

49X8309C in uk
Jimmyjamh
Explorer

@scoopy6 wrote:

@frogger38 @Anonymous yes I would call it more of a 'slow blink' than a 'flicker'.

It also happens between viewing the list of recordings and return to the current Tv channel.

I also get a very very brief black screen, that's seems to be my only issue at the moment. I've installed Kodi and side loaded Apple Music etc. So far everything's working pretty smoothly. 

chbjerg

@Anonymous - I have a list of annoyances - not really deal breakers, but all very annoying :slight_smile: - thank you

• When selecting GUIDE, the tv should really stay on the channel I'm watching (with the sound from said channel) in stead of defaulting to my suppliers test channel
  • When I've selected "Favorites1" in the guide, I would expect the 'channel up' button on the remote, to choose the next channel in the favorites list. I makes no sense at all, that it selects the next channel of all the channels available to me. I have 89 different channels, and i use 8 of them regularly - therefore I've made a favorites list. Once or twice a year I might be looking for something on a channel, not on my list, and I will leave the list, but generally - I really just want to watch the channels in my list. On the other set - in the kids room - i also made a list. This time with only PG rated channels (Disney and that sort of stuff). Try explaining to a 3 year old, that they can't just change channels, but they have to press 'Guide' and select the channel that says Disney. It's hard :slight_smile: 
  • When connected to a soundbar (Sony HT-CT260H) I would prefer that the volume indicator on the tv did not show when i turn up/down the volume on the soundbar. My previous tv (Sony KDL.46-Z5500) disabled the tv's built in volume osd when soundbar was enabled, ad that made a bit more sense, since I am also getting a volume indicator on the soundbar. If this is not possible, it would be nice, if the numbers of the volume level at least matched. This is 2 Sony products - why does the Soundbar travel with 1+ increments while the tv travels with 2+ increments - meaning that if the soundbar is at 15, the tv shows 30. I realise you can't cater to everyones needs, and I should get my ocd under control, but it really bugs me
  • Please. please, get rid of the green border round the PAP window. How that got past any sort of UX department is beyond me.

togusa82
Explorer

Here to add my 2 cents. I own 55W805C which I bought somewhere around July. Suffered almost all of the problems mentioned on this forum. I'm happy to say though that over the course of time they've been all pretty much ironed out. UI is quite snappy and I don't have to regularly restart the set to keep it responsive. Don't care about HDD recording, but happy to see that functionality was finally added (as advertised).

That said I have still one big gripe with the UI, the EPG. How is it that all of the 'wheel' buttons on my remote (HOME, DISCOVER, ACTION MENU) work seamlesly without breaking sound/picture but when I press the GUIDE button, TV goes black, sound stops and EPG does not show up for at least 5-10 seconds. Once on, it works (sort of) OK. I can hear the programme in the background and slight opacity allows to more or less see that something is going on there but then again, quitting EPG and coming back to THE SAME channel makes the TV almost shut off for another 5-10 seconds. I could understand if I changed the channel. Behavior would be then consistent to how HOME button works (pressing it on and off is seamless and does not break the audio, same for DISCOVER button).

I'm using CI+ card by the way, no external cable box.

I really like the TV, picture is great and hooking it up to PC produces amazing results (gaming on it is a breeze). But UI has always been wonky and while I understand that it cannot be totally redesigned, it could at least be consistent when using main features incluced on the remote.

So please SONY engineers, work on EPG, make it snappy just like other main options on the remote and I for one will be able to say that I'm actually completely happy with my set. A rare occurence among customers who trusted their money with to your Bravia Android TV's, from what I see on this forum.