Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
lavaquake
Explorer

Thanks for all the information going around this thread. Nice to know its not just me!

The build date of my KD-55X8509C is on 2016/06. Which is surprising considering how many problems these TV's are having yet they are STILL building them. Im taking it back on friday and getting a full refund. Im not paying £900 for a TV which cant even sync audio up to its video output. 

Its a shame because the picture quality is outstanding and ive not had that many issues with the android OS either apart from it being a little slow at times. All these issues have put me off the Sony Bravia brand for life. 

I also have a few videos on my phone of the out of sync audio, if anyone is interested in seeing them drop me a private message. 

Regards,

Luke 

milner993
Explorer

For anyone with BT Ultra HD you view box set to Ultra HD 10 bit and suffering with picture stutter I found that lowering the setting on the you view box to 1080p stops this from happening I also haven't noticed a difference in picture quality because of this I think that the TV and the BT box might be battling against each other to render a 4K image making the screen jump/stutter.

Il keep you updated as I'm four days with no problems 

Boba77Fett
Explorer

This may be due to the way some cable companies compress data; 1080i plays at 60fps but is broadcast at 30 fps. The TV then displays the frames twice (interlacing), to reduce flicker etc. I don't have a BT UHD box but with the virgin TiVo I have found that their data compression causes pixellated colour and reduced detail on supposedly HD channels. They are still better than standard definition but I still find that the best picture quality on a large screen TV (50" +) can only be achieved via blu ray, which again is 1080p (24fps displayed as 30fps)   

This is a common problem with 1080i,  whereas 1080p (if streaming) does not generally get compressed as much (it's half the data), but again it all depends on your cable provider and how they deliver the signal

hankmarvin107

I have seen the BT test results for their UHD box.  No other UHD TVs suffer this issue @ 2160p (Multiple models from all big brands, from different years)

There has been a lot of testing and from what I can tell this is very much a Sony TV issue.

Note in earlier versions of the Sony software the same issue was seen when running the YouTube & Netflix App from the TV, so it has not always been a HDMI source. 

Gives me even more reason to strongly believe this is Sony issue.

Keep complaining to Sony

Boba77Fett
Explorer

Just a few things I can think off the top of my head

Are you using wired connections?

Have you done speed tests?

Are you using an hdmi 2 0 cable as opposed to 1.4? 

Are you absolutely sure there are no issues with your BT box?

Is your TV on the latest version firmware?

I only saw your last post so apologies if you've already stated

hankmarvin107

I also see the issues @milner993 has, so its not connection speed, HDMI cable or the box. (Also I am on the latest firmware)

profile.country.GB.title
ultrasilent

Good day.

I found that when use Motion flow in 3d mode horizontal resolution drops drastically, but when using Motion flow OFF it introduces flickering and I can notice something like black blinking bar in the lower part of the screen.

I am expirienced 3d user in 6 years and see this issues very clearly, and flickering is very noticeable and brings headache. 

I used this disc: 

http://handforgedvideo.com/portfolio/pattern-help-text/

and will publish tomorrow all the photos and videos.

installed last update:

http://www.sonylatvija.com/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/kd-4K-2015-android-models-update-v33...

Please advice about this issue.

Thanks in advance.

SirFizX
Explorer

Hello Nico,

It seems the gpu on my XBR55X810C is capable of handling HDR (High Dynamic Range imaging).  Is there currently a firmware development milestone in place to enable HDR for third-party applications.  I am a developer and would very much like to incorporate HDR rendering into my tv apps.

SIncerely,

Note: Edited by Quinnicus to remove personal information

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SirFizX

I am assuming you are referring to Nico (Tweety2b)?  If so, he is no longer with Sony unfortunately.

In regards to HDR, only the following TVs support it:

(4K HDR 2015 models: X85C, S85C, X91C, X90C, X93C and X94C only)

(4K HDR 2016 models: XD80, XD83, XD85, SD85, XD93 and XD94 only)

Ive not heard of any further existing models that would get HDR support im afraid.

Cheers

CliveJC
Explorer

Hi I've just bought a Sony KD-49X8309C to replace a Panasonic that I had for less than 5 months which developed 4 individual faults. So far I've had this one for 1 week and had to power off the tv from the main power over 10 times, 3 times today already. I've also already done a factory reset with no joy. 

So to the problems I have is I'm watching it fine, then I turn it off and sit here and wait. While the tv is off I can hear it is spinning the hard drive which I have tried in all the USB ports with the same result. But the biggest problem is I noticed the power light is on. So I press the power on, on the remote and the tv comes on with no sound, remote doesn't work and neither do the buttons on the rear. So I unplug th tv and it boots up and works fine. Thought it could of been connected to the hard drive so I tried it without and the same result. 

Any help with this would be great as I've seen this mentioned but with no resolution.