Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
UKPiglet

@Someboody

"Anyone have issues with the Volume control not working? I've just had this problem - you can't increase or decrease the volume with the remote controls and have to reboot. Never had this issue before the latest update."

Yes, I've had this recently.  I switched apps and tried to watch something. The sound blared out very loudly and the volume control showed when I pressed the volume down, but it didn't do anything. Kids were quite distressed. I ended up turning off the TV at the wall

elraouk

Curry's are liable if they advertised it with having features that it didn't.  As ever it's down to what small print they gid away with regards future updates etc. 
Sony took mine back (I bought direct from Sony, pre ordered in May) , was exactly 3 months from delivery when I demanded a return under SoG act and they gave in eventually. 
wills_b

Yeah I'm going to push it. I don't like being difficult but seems that's what it takes in order to get anywhere.
elraouk

I made a thorough nuisance of myself.  Kept asking for any refusal to be communicated formally in writing with reason why the law didn't apply; so I could use it in my small claims paperwork. 
Kevwoods12

I feel sorry for you guys who have all these issues,  I can honestly say that my 8509 is working like a charm and it's the furthest thing in my mind to want to return it. 

I've got Kodi and I'm using it the way we all know why we downloaded it. The TV never misses a beat. Maybe I've been lucky.  

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Kevwoods12 wrote:

I feel sorry for you guys who have all these issues,  I can honestly say that my 8509 is working like a charm and it's the furthest thing in my mind to want to return it. 

I've got Kodi and I'm using it the way we all know why we downloaded it. The TV never misses a beat. Maybe I've been lucky.  

When you are not using half the available features otherwise you would certainly have noticed the 3D full screen pop up issue.

malcolm1962

@wills_b wrote:

Well I had it with this TV long ago, but following the release of this most recent firmware update I am going to try and do something about it.

I am not sure the Sale of Goods Act provides quite as much protection as some of us hoped that it would, but I am going to try and reach a settlement. Unfortunately I purchased at launch, and from Currys so I don't have the same consumer protections that others do.

I have contacted Currys, who are saying they aren't liable (in their defence, they've done nothing wrong), and Sony, and I have written to Trading Standards.

The sad fact is that the KD-49X8305C (Only model I can comment on) was sold as a state of the art Android TV, with YouView, HDD Recording, PiP, 5.1 audio, etc etc and has none of those.

I feel disasterously let down by Sony here. I thought that selling a "Netflix TV" with a Netflix button on the remote which didn't have Netflix on it was bad, but sadly things have gone from bad to worse.

I realise that there are some unfortunate engineers trying to get the TV to work somehow, but ultimately someone at Sony is responsible for selling a product that was fraudently marketed and an utter failure at even simple tasks. They are responsible for taking a large amount of money that I saved up over a considerable period of time, they have badly let me down. Shame on them.

I will try to keep people posted if I get anywhere, but my advice would be if you are even remotely in a position to return your TV set, then do so immediately. Honestly, it's not worth hanging around.

Sony didn't sell this TV to you, Currys did. It is clear that Currys is liable under the SOGA to provide you with a full refund if you ask for it on the grounds that the features it advertised (and still does) at the time of sale are not present on this set. They will try and deny it, but stand your ground and threaten to see them in the Small Claims court if necessary.

Heckie

Apologies as i know this has been posted but what format and folder structure for USB hard drive?

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

i just tried EXFAT for the Life of Pi HDR demo and it worked fine. Better than FAT32 as you are not limited by 4GB file size.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Skighpilot
Explorer

I have my 2 TVs and 2 Sky+HD boxes connected via homeplugs, as is my PC and printer. This gives the equivalent of wired connections using the mains circuit (all devices must be on the same circuit). You can get passthrough homeplugs, which means that you don’t lose the electrical outlet. This method enables ethernet connections anywhere you have mains plugs.

Sent from Windows Mail