Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Twobins

@Shodney wrote:

I've had what looks like a pretty standard reply from JL about returning my TV.

My main argument was that the TV is "not as described" under the Sales of Goods act due to missing features (i.e. HDD recording, Picture in Picture) and also the announcement that you could either use satellite or Youview, but not both at the same time (which was not mentioned in the original advertising when I bought the TV).

Unfortunately I also mentioned the technical issues as a secondary argument, in an attempt to satisy the "not fit for purpose" definition of the SoG act, which seems to have earned me a standard reply about contacting the technical department for support. No mention was made in their reply about the SoG act or the missing features.

I've replied by re-iterating the fact that I wish to return under the SoG act rather than seek repair, mainly for the reason that it's not as described and that any tech issues are secondary to this. As anybody here knows, the tech issues aren't really secondary, and they really do make the TV not fit for purpose (basic TV functions such as changing the channel or turning it off don't even work properly *****), but I'm trying to bypass the whole "wait 2 weeks for a technician to turn up and tut for 5 minutes, then send it back to Sony for 4 weeks only for them to send a refurb model back with the exact same issues" thing.

I really do believe at this point that the problems we're having are an inherent design fault with the TV and can't be fixed through updates. Either because they've used an insufficient CPU, or not enough memory to hold all the functions thay need to have basic TV functions running, or something else. After 6 months, surely if they *could* be fixed through updates they would have done by now.

I've asked JL to re-read my original email carefully and reply once they fully understand what I'm requesting, rather than palming me off onto tech support. I'll update when I hear back (although it's black friday obviosuly, so it may be a while). 

I too was put through to the technical department. They know the score with these TVs and they were the ones who arranged the refund. (and that was back in September)

elraouk

Your response about being palmed off to the technical department is why I originally tried to just return under 90 day return policy.  Would appear the best approach is to focus purely on "not as advertised" aspect to ensure return without the £29.95 collection charge. 
Shodney

Yep, I agree. I wouldn't bother mentioning any tech issues if anybody tries the same approach.

I added them in to try and strengthen my case, so that I had two reasons (both under the Sales of Goods Act) why it should be returned. Reason being is that I'm *way* beyond the return period (I bought the set in June). On refelction it was the wrong approach to take, I should have saved that angle for if they dug their heels in and refused on "not as described" alone.

I'll wait and see how they respond to my last email. If needed I'll contact tech support - by the sounds of what @Twobins says it might not be that bad.

Cheers.

cozzykim

I know that complying with the SOG act in the UK is the responsibility of the retailer.

So, are JL and Currys et al being reimbursed for returned TVs by Sony, or do they have to absorb the loss?

Perhaps this would explain why the sets are being offered as cash sales in some retailers' stores.

jumpgun7
Explorer

I bought a 55X8509C about 3 weeks ago from JL.  Since getting it I've noticed at one time or another all the issue raised in this thread.  The TV just feels underpowered for Android, and I believe it was a little over ambitious for Sony to launch this without ensuring the compute power offered was sufficient to run android at an acceptable level.  The panel quality on the set it excellent though (I spent a while comparing it in store with other manufacturers at a similar price point and really have no complaints in that respect), and overall it's a great display let down by the clunkiness of the Android OS.  My last TV was a SONY BRAVIA that lasted almost 10 years (one of the early 1080p models), so I was already convinced of the brand's quality.

After deliberating for a while, I've accepted it's various issues now and decided to hang on to it rather than replacing, but this decision is purely because I have some great peripheral hardware that's connected to it which "works around" all of the issues.  The HUMAX box I own offers a great youview experience (with HDD recording), unlike the atrocious implementation in the BRAVIA firmware update that practically renders the set useless (I disabled this feature almost immediately).  I also have an Nvidia Shield TV (currently on an amazing black Friday deal btw :wink: ), for a real android experience as Google intended (4k/60hz, ultra responsive, great user experience).  Playstation 4 provides other functions such as bluray etc.

If there is one issue that I still struggle with a bit, it's the huge amount of sound latency that's introduced when doing passthrough audio via hdmi, and then out the back of the TV via optical to an amp.  DD is bad, and DTS is horrendous with the sound lagging about 250ms behind the picture.  I've worked around this by changing audio/video sync latency in many of the video apps such as KODI, and running playstation 4 directly into an optical switch to the amp bypassing the TV.  I find it ridiculous that so much sound latency is introduced though, especially as this is the complete opposite of the usual symptom where it's the video that's delayed due to image processing.

Bottom line is that I would probably of chosen differently if I'd seen this thread and used the TV before purchasing, but now I have it and rarely rely on the inbuilt features, I can just about live with it.  I really feel sorry for anyone using this exclusively as their media hub though, as attempting to do anything remotely taxing for the processor it's kitted out with results in stalls, crashes, and other glitches.  I hope they improve things further with future firmware, but having seen how brilliantly android runs on the nvidia shield tv compared to this tv set, I'm not holding my breath.  

gandawall
Explorer

Your experience with John Lewis sounds just like mine with Currys. After getting nowhere with emails, I phoned Currys Customer Service and spoke to a very helpful young man. After describing my experience so far he expressed the view that the store would exchange for another model. So off I went to the Exeter store clutching my receipt, but knowing that I was well outside the 30 day return period so fearing the worst. I then had to describe the problems (lack of advertised ability to record, ITVPlayer not working, switching problems, etc.) to three people and had a long conversation with the TV dept manager and their Sony 'expert'. My reference to 'not fit for purpose' and the Sale of Goods Act produced no response except that they regarded the KD43X8309 as a really good TV and they had not had any other complaints! I suggested they look at the Sony Community website.

There advice was that I should do a 'factory reset' and then wait for the next firmware update on 24 Dec. If, after that, I still had problems then they would take it in for a repair. They were adamant that an exchange was not an option and did not seem to understand that my main complaint was that the set was not as described and that they were in breach of the Sale of Goods Act.

I gave up, returned home and did a 'factory reset' and, hallelujah, it seemed to work. ITVPlayer started working and the switching problems seemed to disappear. However half an ago I switched off and the picture went off, but the sound stayed on!

I have now decided to write to Currys head office, setting out all the problems i have had with the TV and with their customer service and see what response I get from them to my request for an exchange and some compensation for all trouble and two months of frustrtion.

Cbrpaul01
Explorer

@gandawall

What model is your Sony tv ?

As for Currys, i beleive their customer service is a 3rd party company , called " KNOWHOW" personally i have had only bad experiance with Currys and Knowhow,  so I never buy anything from them again , ever.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@cozzykim wrote:

I know that complying with the SOG act in the UK is the responsibility of the retailer.

So, are JL and Currys et al being reimbursed for returned TVs by Sony, or do they have to absorb the loss?

Perhaps this would explain why the sets are being offered as cash sales in some retailers' stores.

In general, if the retailer uses Sony descriptions and Sony promotional materials, the retailer has redress against Sony,

But if a retailer mistakenly extrapolates 'satellite' to 'Freesat', say, it would be a very generous Sony who stumped up for that.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
empire80
Explorer

They were advertised with freesat (at least the 75x8505 that I had was) - both on the website and when talking to the staff in John Lewis, when I bought mine at the end of August.  JL are collecting it on Tuesday - refund service was very good once I set out the details.  As if to confirm I had made the right choice to send it back, the TV turned off this evening in the middle of a program - it must have got bored and decided it needed a nap.

empire80
Explorer

Persevere and ask for the issue to be escalated.  JL agreed a refund after 10 weeks for me under SoG as I emphasised Freesat and Youview were key featres in my buying decision.