Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
julianblack

While I agree with the sentiment about significant updates possibly requiring a factory reset, I would be much happier if Sony were to provide a robust way of backing up and restoring settings (including account details). I would never consider performing a major software update on a computer/tablet/smart phone without creating a backup before hand. The same approach should apply to these TVs.
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@rooobb wrote:

@royabrown @Cbrpaul01 I may agree what I wrote is not very polite....and I undertsand it's not the best thing to do starting again setting the whole TV as brand new, but it is required to do so especially after a fw upgrade (even on Samsung TVs...). If you ask to Sony support directly it is the very first thing they require you to do and by the way, after all this work, you have to have your setting written down because it could always happen (as with a PC) that you may lose them (don't want to be scary, please :slight_smile: )

Anyway it's up to you, it just seems strange to me complaining about problems and noy willing to apply possible solutions.

Would I not be forgiven for baulking if I went to the doctor with an ingrowing toenail, and 'foot amputation' was suggested as a possible solution? 🙂

And I've never factory reset any one of my 7 Samsung TVs, nor ever dreamed of having to do so.

i did just, for the very first time, factory reset my ten-year-old 2005 HP2710 printer which has been playing up, with a #9 reset, but only after the gentler #3 and #6 resets were not efficacious. 

With YouView, on the PVRs, we are also used to a graded set of 5 reset options; but this TV just seems to have power off/power on, long press on the remote power button, and 'nuke it'.

Having said that, I work on a tech helpdesk, so I know why the first advice is always 'factory reset it'. It's not lazy, exactly, but it's simpler 🙂

Now if the TV itself, when I ran its diagnostics, suggested a factory reset, that would be different. I wonder why it never does?

But at the moment, the cure is worse than the disease, and I hope it is understandable that I regard it as a solution, if it is a solution at all, to be kept in reserve.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown again it's your choice, I thing as a tech savvy you are used to balance pros and cons and choose tha path that is better for you. Hope you don't need it! (BTW I'm experiencing too some minor problem with the last European update and waiting before resetting everything :slight_smile: )

nik-007

Hi Guys,

sorry if  someone asked for it before couldn't find any reference. 

I've Bose sound touch 130 connected to this TV and I'm facing two issues:

1. When I switch on TV, sound bar comes on almost at same time as TV but it takes over a minute before TV sound starts coming. Any way to speed this up. 

2. If I press mute button on TV remote, sound bar go mute and mute active is displayed on the AV receiver but if I press mute again it doesn't un mute, to unmute I've to either raise volume by 1 point or press mute again. 

I contacted both Bose and Sony but as expected both trying to put onus on other. 

scoopy6

Control by CEC settings (such as Sony's version 'Bravia-sync') don't always work between devices from different manufacturers. I understand this is because the CEC systems do not always have exactly the same specs, but CECs can be turned off while using a good universal remote to get around this e.g. with an URC-6440/OARUSB04G remote and its extender for about £15. Like that:-

1.) In a 'switch on' macro for TV and soundbar, you could perhaps include a delay of a minute for the Bose to be ready before getting sound from the sound bar.

2.) a macro on the universal remote to combine the sound controls?

49X8309C in uk

THE LAW GIVES YOU THREE PERIODS OF PROTECTION TO CONSIDER. Up to 30 days, between thirty days and six months, and over six months.  If your retailer's policy doesn't comply with the law's requirements, they are trying it on and acting illegally. Simple as that. Scroll right down for the link to the legal summary and easy explanation. Don't take "No" for an answer. You even have 6 YEARS to make your claim in the small claims court but best do it sooner.

This is my recent experience:

For those contemplating returning their sorry Sony sets via Currys, I returned mine today with absolutely no problems.  I had been emailing them regularly with updates on how the set was misbehaving. I was anxious to keep it if started to behave itself but I also wanted to keep the door open in case I decided to return it so kept up a running commentary.  I bought it on 30th October and first reported the problems to Currys on 30th November (31 days after purchase) although the problems had been manifesting themselves for the few weeks since I bought it - well within Currys' own return policy time limit see  http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/returns-cancellations-1043-theme.html .  

I went through the disasterous YouView update and managed to reset to recover my twin satellite reception. I achieved the 10th December update and saw only a very minor improvement - it only froze every 3-4 days! Great! I noted the slippage dates for the HDD PIP/PAP features to the end of March and read about the next function upgrade scheduled for February. I read about all the other grief that different folks experienced with different models and different setups so I then stood back and reassessed. 

The outlook seemed bleak and Sony seemed shifty about their "cure". It just looked too unlikely that they'd fix it without major hardware surgery so yesterday evening I emailed the store and this morning I took the thing back. There was absolutely no quibble. The Currys store team in Cheltenham were very helpful and sympathetic, a real credit. They get this public thank you.  Wish I could say the same about the anonymous Currys Customer Service cente, wherever that hides itself. They were dreadful, unhelpul, rude and plain wrong on points of consumer law; then had the cheek to ask me to complete a satsfaction survey! They just don't get it.  The Sony one is almost as bad but at least the chaps I spoke with tried to help even though they hadn't a clue why the set was trashing itself regularly - probably because Sony Central were hiding things up their sleeve and all their script says was "reset".

I've owned several Samsungs over the years and they've performed perfectly well for me so I am now about to order my shiny new Samsung UE48JU7000 which I anticipate will surpass the Sony and work properly straight out of the box. Managed to get it at a great price too - £150 lower than the John Lewis Sale price. Go on, Google for best price and see what I mean. If there any obvious issues with it, I'll get back to you all here but I don't think I'll need to. Otherwise, that's me done. Thanks for all your help over the past few weeks.  If you possibly can, my advice would be to ditch the b1tch and switch to Samsung.  Luvvem!

UPDATE

To be clear, The Law is on your side!  I just kept a log of dates and events and presented the store with them. I reminded them of the new Consumer Rights Act which only came into force in October 2015 and reminded them of Currys' own policy, as I quoted above.  NOTE their policy mentions that the product defect must have occurred during the first 30 days, not that you have to report it during the first 30 days!  The CRA has a time limit of 30 days and then it covers you well beyond that. Currys' seems to have no time limit on actually reporting, just as long as the fault happened within 30 days.  Poor policy wording on their part in my view but helpful to the rest of us.

If you want a decent summary of the CRA check this out. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act Read it all because it will really help you and is only a page or so long. No brainer folks.

I went in to the store on at least 5 occasions to talk to the sales team and formed a "working relationship" with them there. I agreed to keep the set but reserved the right to return it if it didn't improve.  I got them to check things out with the Currys' Customer Service secret hideout and then asked them if they'd be kind enough forward me the key points of the reply and to confirm in writing that they agreed that I had the right to return the set.  This meant I then had the email address of the local store so I then had a direct line in to use regularly. 

Happy viewing

PA

HAPPY BUNNY. R£TURNED MY USELESS SONY ANDROID TV UNDER CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015. R£SULT=R£FUND!
adyjay33

Hi

Glad you got it sorted and gave it back.

What have you said to them to take it back?

Others need to know so they can do it too.

Many probably have not complained about it hoping it will get sorted by Sony, so Currys etc... wll not have heard from them.

Thanks

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
jain236

Ok.. I also returned my TV.

i will tell you what i have done,

Call the customer care tell them that you tried to Record HDD and it does not works. tell them that you tried today first time since you bought the TV and after looking on the web you realised that this Feature is not available yet, so you want to return the TV. the customer service guy will put on hold to discuss with their Tech and transfer the call to them repeat the same same story and dont tell other issues, he will try to get it repaired . remeber to say YES for everything the tech guys (some trouble shooting tipes he will suggest).

i did the same way and with out hestitaion they processed my return and got refund.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Publiclyavailable

I hope that's with those nice Richer Sounds people just across town from Kingsditch. They got my UE55JS9000 to me at one day's notice in the week leading up to Xmas Day,

And when they discounted the set another £100 on Boxing Day, and I asked for the 7 day price match with competing retailer - themselves, they were as good as their promise 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Acnescar
Explorer

Just a quick note to say thanks to all the members here that have tried to help with these useless Sony tv's.

I'm frankly quite astounded that they were released in the first instance and can only assume that some culture within Sony has prevented anyone from admitting that there is a real problem lest someone in a senior position loses face. Something which I understand is a real problem in some cultures around the world.

I first looked at these forums the day after I plugged in the TV and it lagged terribly. After reading the 250 or so pages in early December and experiencing pretty much every problem listed here I went straight to the returns policy of my supplier to find I had lucked in by buyng the TV at Costco. 

With 90 days to return the set I waited till the 24th update which never came and have just ordered  a Samsung UE55JU6800 for a bit more but if it can actually fulfill the basic operations that I require of a TV (Switch on ond off plus change channels) then it'll be more value for money than the Sony. I'll drop the Sony box back to Costco later this week. I hope they return it to Sony.

Theres been some great advice here especially around returning the TV's under our current legislation so keep it up guys and I'll probably carry on lurking for a while to watch the soap opera of failed promises, rubbish updates and poor sony engagement with the people who ultimatley pay their wages!

Thanks again 

Acne