Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Braindrain
Explorer

Hi all,

Been looking at this forum for a while but only really lurcking....

Can anyone confirm if the stuttering exists using a UHD bluray player? Or is it only an issue with STBs from sky and BT?

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Braindrain - it will probably exist on a UHD Bluray player as well.

Braindrain
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus

Wow! Looks like Sony have really dropped the ball if it is indeed happening on any HDMI 4K input.

Think I will put my AV upgrade plans on hold to see if this will get sorted correctly.

So much for having a 4k telly which can only display 1080 HDMI sources

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Braindrain

Ive just had a message from Sony to state that there hasnt been any issues with 4K Bluray players.

‘Our understanding is due to the different formats used by BDP HDMI, no stuttering will occur. If anyone does experience stutter from a BDP then please give us the model of TV and BDP’

So just clearing my previous post. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Brigante01

Can someone describe or upload a video of this issue? I think I have the same thing happening from PC over HDMI at 4K resolution.

It only happens sometimes though, can be completely random. Can happen straight away after turning on the screen or can happen after several hours. Changing source or putting into standby and on again clears it but sometimes only for a short while before happening again.

For me it manifests itself by the whole picture becoming scrambled. At a still image you can't see it but when the picture is moving it's very noticeable and the screen becomes unusable. I'll try to record it next time I see it.

chrgray

@Brigante01 wrote:

Can someone describe or upload a video of this issue?

Here's one I prepared earlier - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-myt8ZoVvY

Over 1,100 views so far!!

Several examples of the stuttering and juddering the Sony Android TV suffers when using an HDMI input on 3840x2160 10-bit 50p
Brigante01

That's it but on PC it's even worse. I can hardly make out what's on the screen when it happens.

Hopefully the next firmware will sort this out as I've lived with it for soon a year!

Braindrain
Explorer

Thanks for find out Quinnicus, I can take these AV upgrades off hold now!

profile.country.GB.title
AnthonyMK
Explorer

yup mine does this, usually reselecting the source fixes it

but it happens too often for a premium tv, at least once during every time i sit down to watch something

Brigante01

I find it weird if bluray players are not affected. If it affects STB's and PC then what's different with the bluray.

From the PC it's much worse than the videos posted above.