Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia tuner cannot tune UK HD Freeview channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
leadfootlambert
Visitor

Bravia tuner cannot tune UK HD Freeview channels

I have Bravia KDL32V5500U 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV which I purchase before we had HD in our area (SE). A few weeks ago HD was switched on, but I am unable to tune them. Because I am able to get it on all the other TV's in the house. I phoned the Freeview service and they put me in touch with the SONY helpline.

After some research the Sony lady informed that this model is made for Europe and so "it does not tune the UK HD channels"  After I picked myself up I asked her to explain this, but she could only repeat that it was an HD TV but it would only work in countries other than the UK (the country it was purchased in)

I asked if there was a firmware upgrade but she said no and the only option was to not use the inbuilt tuner and buy an external one!

Now I have searched the internet and have been unable to find any mention of this anywhere. So before I start seeing what redress I have with Amazon UK (the supplier) or Sony, I thought I would ask if anyone has heard of this, because I am sure this cannot be correct?

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Andy and welcome,

A second, separate, digital tuner (DVB-T2) is required to receive Freeview HD broadcasts.  I'm not sure these were available in March 2009 when this model was released.

Check the features and specifications of your Bravia - I don't think your model has a Freeview HD Tuner.  It has DVB-T (Freeview) and DVB-C (Cable) - but not DVB-T2.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/TV-80-32-lcd/KDL-32V5500#/TechnicalSpecs

It will display HD content from the HDMI input from a HD box (like Sky HD) or from a DVD/BD HD source.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Andy and welcome,

A second, separate, digital tuner (DVB-T2) is required to receive Freeview HD broadcasts.  I'm not sure these were available in March 2009 when this model was released.

Check the features and specifications of your Bravia - I don't think your model has a Freeview HD Tuner.  It has DVB-T (Freeview) and DVB-C (Cable) - but not DVB-T2.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/TV-80-32-lcd/KDL-32V5500#/TechnicalSpecs

It will display HD content from the HDMI input from a HD box (like Sky HD) or from a DVD/BD HD source.

:thinking:

buseng
New
leadfootlambert
Visitor

Ok Guys thanks for that.

If I am understanding what you are saying then clearly just because a TV is sold as “HD ready” does not mean it is UK Freeview HD ready and  “unique HD picture enhancement technology delivering unbeatable image quality” means - as long as you don’t want it to work on Freeview!

If that is right then I think the whole thing sucks! But it is not your fault so thanks for the help and I hope others don’t fall into the trap.

Cheers Andy

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes HD ready simple meant that the panel had an HDMI socket and the screen was capable of displaying an above SD image i.e.720p, 1080i/1080p and was thus compatible with HD imput sources, be it Blu-ray, Sky, Virgin Media or indeed Freeview HD. The spec for Freeview HD was finalised quite late and thus nothing prior to March 2010 shipped with the DVB-T2 tuner required to receive Freeview HD.

Thanks

nebrown18
Explorer

It seems wherever I look, I see that SONY customer services are totally non-existent.

They should go into liquidation as the company is so badly run. Their products and support are totally abysmal.

I have also encountered similar problems to yours.

profile.country.GB.title
Simply4Me

Nonsense!

It's hardly Sony's fault that the broadcast standard was changed after they designed and sold the set. They didn't have a crystal ball. Every other manufacturer was in exactly the same position.