Join now - be part of our community!

Google Play Store App driving me mad - am I doing something wrong

SOLVED
Henners64
Explorer

Google Play Store App driving me mad - am I doing something wrong

Hi,

Probably a dumb question by a newbie, but I'm hoping someone out there can impart some of their wisdom on an issue I am having with my newish TV. I recently purchased a KD-55X8005C TV, my first foray into the world of Smart TVs and also to the Android platform. The TV works fine but I'm now starting to look to expand its use and am trying to wrap my head around downloading Apps - something that I've got experience of in another platform (IOS) but am danged if I can get to work on this TV.

When I go to the HOME screen, I scroll down to the APPS section and navigate to the Google Play Store Icon and select it. 

This then opens up a new window with suggestions on what Apps I may like to  download.

No matter what App I select, after 1-2 seconds it dumps me back to the previous screen before I had selected the Google Play Store Icon - in fact the icon is still highlighted waiting for me to select it.

I've tried all I can think of, but cannot for the life of me fathom out what's going on so I'd really appreciate any useful suggestions. I've even done a factory reset and setup the TV again from scratch, but this didn't resolve it either. I've checked the firmware I'm on the latest version.

The other Google Play Apps (Music / TV ) seem to work just fine, it's just the Play Store App that is mis-behaving.

Any sensible suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you please try again.  As one of the people who said it wasnt working is now saying that it does.

Cheers

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This is not a dumb question - however in your position i guess this is a really frustrating problem too.  Unfortunately you have already done the two troubleshooting steps, and i dont have any further advice to help you either.

What i will do though is escalate this to Sony Support on your behalf.  So someone should be in contact with you.

Cheers

Henners64
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus, much appreciated.

how long does it usually take for a response from Sony support - hours/days/weeks?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Normally a couple of days.

However, its looking like you have stumbled a more wider issue.  There is confirmation that a couple of people in Italy and one in the Netherlands is also having this same problem.  So further investigation is required.

Cheers

Henners64
Explorer

I received a reply back from Sony support asking me to reset the TV to factory default, download the latest firmware to a USB drive and update the TV.

Even though I already tried the factory reset I thought I'd give it another go - reset again and downloaded the firmware to a USB drive only for the TV to advise that I'm already on the latest firmware and to remove the USB Drive.

So back to square 1 and awaiting Sony's next suggestion with eager anticipation.......

Comforting to know (I think) that others out there are experiencing the same issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ive just added this to the list:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2139273#M41911

Your reply has just annoyed me - not you though, but Sony Support.  I specifically stated that you have the latest FW and have done a factory reset.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you please try again.  As one of the people who said it wasnt working is now saying that it does.

Cheers

Henners64
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for your suggestion. I am pleased (and relieved) to report back that it is now working for me too!

No idea what's changed to resolve the matter, but it seems to be working fine at this time.

Thanks again for your input and assistance, which is very much appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent, thanks for confirming

Have fun :thumbsup: