Join now - be part of our community!

How to connect your Bravia TV to your PC to play media files

profile.country.en_GB.title
slowtrain
Visitor

How to connect your Bravia TV to your PC to play media files

Hi All

This seems to be quite a popular question since I joined the discussions. So I thought I'd share my limted knowledge on the subject.

If your Bravia TV features DLNA you can quite succesfully play all your media files from your pc on the TV.

You should have your TV connected to your BB router. I'm lucky as my router is next to the TV and I just have a short LAN cable connecting  to it. But you can use HomePlugs or the correct Sony wireless adaptor if the router is in another room.

Next install mezzmo, there is a free trial period you can download to see if it works.

http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/default.asp

Installation time can vary as it scans your pc for all your media files ready to be used. If you have any ATRAC music files you may want to convert them to MP3 as far as I can see this fle type is not supported.

As the installation continues it will recogise the TV if it's turned and if you have one your PS3 which also should be on.

When installtion completes go to your TV press Home on the remote and navigate to the photo or music or video. You should see the mezzmo arrows logo and from there you can go to each of the folders that appear as they are on your pc and play them.

I've also discovered that you can turn on your PC using the favourites key on your TV remote.

Good luck to all who try this.

10 REPLIES 10
alfieallen
Visitor

Hi,

Good thread, do you know if BBC iplayer downloads will play to my bravia through mezzmo

Regards,

slowtrain
Visitor

Hi alfieallen

Thanks, can't see why you would want to play BBCi Player through mezzmo on your bravia, as you can play it through the widgets in the XMB.

Cheers.

alfieallen
Visitor

Hi slowtrain,  i have a KDL-32W5810 are widgets available for this model ? I originally was trying to download bbc iplayer and route it through mezzmo, from their i wanted to try and download a movie from blinkbox and again route it through mezzmo with my desktop pc acting as the server. regards, alfie allen

slowtrain
Visitor

alfieallen wrote:

Hi slowtrain,  i have a KDL-32W5810 are widgets available for this model ? I originally was trying to download bbc iplayer and route it through mezzmo, from their i wanted to try and download a movie from blinkbox and again route it through mezzmo with my desktop pc acting as the server. regards, alfie allen

Hi alfie

Looking at tthe spec of your TV it does not have 'internet tv'.

But it does have FreeSat which it sould be able to acess BBCi Player through the BBC red button.

Cheers

slowtrain

alfieallen
Visitor

Hi slow train, thanks for your reply, if i wanted to try and download a movie from blinkbox or another and again  route it through mezzmo with my desktop pc acting as the server this should be possible ? would DRM play a part. Appreciate that I can get iplayer through TV but could I download iplayer programmes and play via mezzmo.  regards, alfie allen

Catmambo
Contributor

I don't think this would work unfortunately. DLNA isn't great with DRM'd files. iPlayer allows you to download programmes within iPlayer desktop, but I don't think you can break them out of there.

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

Hi

I have a 32W5710 and I use Win 7  and Windows Media Player. I have connected my TV to my LAN and can see my PC...I can play video on my TV from the PC....but not music. I can see all the music folders but the TV tells me "There are no items to view"..when I know there are. Any help much appreciated...its driving me crazy

Catmambo
Contributor

Are you looking at your music files via the music tab? It will only see the relevant files under the correct tab.

Thanks

stbahri
Visitor

I haved networked my tv and  pc. and my laptop can play both music and view phots from both on the tv but can see the vidio files but will not play them ?

can you help

mr b